NSW Padstow Duplex SIde - Sewerage / Soils Question

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by pinot, 5th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. pinot

pinot Active Member

Hi all

Doing my due diligence on some contracts before putting forward an offer on a PPOR and wanted to get your feedback on the following.

Property is a side-by-side duplex (LHS duplex for sale) with the attached sewerage layout. Floor plan suggests the sewerage runs right underneath the front half of the house. I am wondering if this is something I should try steer clear of?

Secondly, s10.7 states that this property is affected by the acid sulfate soils assessment guidelines and acid sulfate soils planning guideline. As a result, development of the land is restricted due to likelihood of acid sulfate soils. Is this something that I, as father to a young family should be too worried over?

Docs attached

Attached Files:

2. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

the sewer diagram appears to be the original prior to your development. (only a single freestanding dwelling shown)
    so there is probably a new connection diagram pending.

Anyway, the boards 6" inch main runs across the front of the lot so unlikely to cause any issues with future development. (unless you think you're going to build an underground carpark in the future ?)

there is likely a condition of the DA with regards to an Acid Soil Management plan. council would not approve the development unless this was addressed.

checking the DA submitted to council would be my first step.

pinot likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You only need to worry about ASS if you are excavating over 100m3 (or some other large volume). ASS affects many areas, possibly due to the proximity of a watercourse.

That would appear to be an old sewer diagram, connection would be at the front of the house

pinot and bmc like this.
  4. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

There are different categories of ASS (Class 1 to Class 5) mostly the class 4 and 5 are not much of a problem.

pinot and bmc like this.
  5. pinot

pinot Active Member

Thanks for all the feedback.

FYI, property is already established. I am looking to purchase as PPR

I re-looked at the contract and what I believe is updated sewerage plans (attached). Would I be right in interpreting this correctly? It would make sense given the wall-to-wall build that the sewerage be re-located at the front of the property. I take it, that it then runs either alongside or underneath the house to the property?

Attached Files:

6. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

same thing.
    the boards sewer line runs across the front of your lot.
    the new private connection sewer diagram should be available online (if the house is completed)
    it will cost you about $30 to purchase.
    it will show your private lines that connect into the boards sewer.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  7. pinot

pinot Active Member

Noted and thankyou. What are the key things to look out for? Any resources you can suggest?

I assume ideally that the first connection from board to the property is ideally routed along an area that is easily accessible? Eg garden

8. Scott No Mates

That would be an open grated drain which serves as the overflow if there's a blockage. Better out than in. :rolleyes:

pinot likes this.
  9. pinot

pinot Active Member

Thanks all for your replies. Rather than starting a new thread, I have another question below.

Building insurance was purchased for this property at build phase, however the contract amount was only priced at $200k per duplex. This seems a little lower than typical build cost in the area.

I was wondering if there are any consequences of this in terms of building warranty, me purchasing insurance later down the track etc.?

Address 26 Stephanie Street Padstow.

10. Scott No Mates

@pinot - home warranty insurance has nothing to do with other types of insurances that you may wish to take out at a later date.

11. pinot

pinot Active Member

Is it purely insurance for the builder during the build stage?

What if you plan on claiming repairs of a major structural defect from the vendor?

12. Scott No Mates

Insurance