Padbury Zoning - ideas and information

Discussion in 'Development' started by Cuffman, 4th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Cuffman

Cuffman Member

Hi there
    I currently own a property on Buchanan Way Padbury on 713sqm. The city of Joondalup has rezoned blocked in the corner pockets of the suburb but not my area.

Does anyone have any information to pending changes to zoning in Padbury or what I should do with the block. Currently has and old property on it but I'm pretty keen to develop. Questions;
    - Should I sit and wait
    - Should I just demo and build 1 new property
    - Any info to zoning changes by City of Joondalup

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

What's the current zoning?

I haven't checked recently but normally councils will publish well ahead of time any new strategies or proposed rezonings on the horizon - have you trawled through the City's website?

3. Cuffman

Cuffman Member

It's currently R20...

I've had the place since 2013 and in that time zoning has changed around parts of the suburb closest to the freeway but not my area.

4. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

If anything it probably means its less likely any rezonings are coming to your property anytime soon.

R20 corner lot should be able to be subdivided usually though. Did you look into that?

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

The current (and probably future) thinking about increasing density is around shopping centres and train stations. That is how the City of Joondalup did their most recent rezoning and it's probably the way it's going to stay though may increase in areas. The problem with your property is that is not near a train station or ammenities. There might be some movement in the future to target some areas alongside Marmion Ave if it has a high frequency bus route but still might not reach your property.

Town Planning Scheme are reviewed every 5 or so years so there will be another one but this last rezoning as such a big one (encompassed many suburbs) and very contentious that it might be awhile before they undertake it again.

If your house is a corner block there are more options for you or you could consider a house + single bedroom dwelling perhaps.

lixas4 and Propin like this.
  6. Cuffman

Cuffman Member

Thanks for the reply.

So building a new house plus a granny flat is an interesting idea. Will look into this.