P&I Forced saving?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by KJB, 29th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. KJB

KJB Well-Known Member

I'm looking to change one of my IP's To P&I:

As of last valuation it was $431,000
    with debt of $292,000
    LOC secured against $44,000

Assuming 80% LVR if I paid $12,000 I could increase my LOC to by $20,000 (I think my bank will let me increase it in 10,000 increments even)

Looking further on every dollar I pay in Principle I could draw down again (I just did a quick check on bank website calculator doing this would give me enough in 5 years for my next IP - which would actually be sooner with my savings)

Sorry this is more of me just brainstorming with myself as opposed to a question to the forum - I am in an ongoing process of unlearning a !@#$ load of bad money habits I've had since I can remember and curious if any one does this to force savings?

I know IO with offset its the general consensus, but if I'm just borrowing the money paid off when I can, is this so bad? (either way this money will end back up in another IP )

Am i missing anything major (apart from a price correction?) this IP is in Perth and hopefully this is the price it corrected to) :)

Cheers

Kayne

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes it can be good as it is a form of forced savings. it can also help serviceability if the loan is PI.

But consider that serviceability is tightening so if you pay a loan off now you may not be able to borrow an equivalent amount tomorrow.

KJB likes this.
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

An offset may be smarter to avoid the issue Terry referred to. The offset is always liquid and available. In 5 years credit the loan with offset, split loans and draw a new loan amount.

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.