Oxley near Darra...need help

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Skyegirl, 4th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Skyegirl

Skyegirl Well-Known Member

Hi dear fellows, I am a newbie to the forum but found it really useful and informative. Recently I moved to Brisvegas and started to look for a house (ideally could be a PPOR for a year and rent out later). Budget for this is 400-580k, prefer a brick type, and don't mind to do a moderate renovation. Strategy is buy and hold, maybe renovation/development along the way.

Lately I've seen a 4 bedroom house in Oxley, but south of Ipswich Hwy. Can someone throw a bit advice regarding to the location, and vacancy rate as it is fairly close to Darra.

Thanks a lot!

2. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

I have no idea but regularly hear Oxley and Darra on traffic reports alot that can't be good.

3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I would not let that matter much.

Most traffic reports come from quite a few locations that rarely vary. Traffic build-up is referenced from those regular locations.
    Marg

4. c_west

c_west Well-Known Member

Also check flood maps for Oxley, I think part of the suburb is quite exposed when it comes to flooding

5. Skyegirl

Thank you all very much! This is such a friendly forum.

Traffic always seemed to be an issue with no train line at that side of the mortorway. But things get better normally after passing Buranda. @Marg4000 @BB5

Thanks for the notice. The house I'm interested in is not flood prone according to the flood map, but houses two blocks away are. So fingers crossed if I end up with it. @c_west

However I'm concerned about the quality of future tenants. Anyone might have a clue?

6. diagnostic

diagnostic Well-Known Member

Oxley is a decent suburb, just check flood maps as mentioned above. It's close to the train station so shouldn't have any issues with vacancy. Graceville/Sherwood are on the expensive side so Oxley would be next in line.

willair likes this.
  7. Skyegirl

Sorry I made a typoo_O It's actually near Durack side, handy to bus but without any train station. Would it still be a good choice? Thanks heap!

8. diagnostic

diagnostic Well-Known Member

What I was trying to say is that Oxley is just south of Graceville which is a suburb that has seen some decent growth in the past.Check 150 Ardoyne Rd, Oxley on Google Maps and you will see the train station.

9. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Hey,
    I stayed here for a while and if your talking about the area near the aldi, In some way its a nice pocket for the area. Found the general region of Brisbane a bit so/so but this particular pocket of housing was quiet nice. The quality of housing in this pocket was well above average of the region and hence the prices.

Demographics wise seemed to be mixed but did see a lot of young professional families - Wouldnt worry about tennants if you get a good quality brick/slab house.

Public transport - just a bus into city (I never used it in peak hour) but at night would only take 20-30 mins.

traffic - Noticed that the ipswich motorway would get busy but you only have to be on it for about 1km before you exit

shops - Theres a complex with an aldi + butcher, fruit shop and chemist warehouse which is enough for day to day needs. Mt gravatt is only around 15 - 20 mins drive away (good luck if your relying on public transport)

10. Mr T

Mr T Member

That strech of Ipswich motorway will be upgraded soon.

Ipswich Motorway Upgrade: Rocklea to Darra Stage 1, Package 1 (Granard Road to Oxley Road) project