Owners corp - Approval to renovate

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by jatz, 10th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. jatz

jatz Member

Hi . I have an 1960's style flat that needs repairs to the windows. There is no maintenance plan or no sinking fund. I think I may need to replace some windows and was wondering how to get the ok to change the window into a door.
    It would not be visible to the front of the complex and would just be a sliding door onto a washing line area that no one uses, but is common property.
    Has any one had success in doing this ? What sort of structural plans, reports etc would i need and where is the best place to start? or is it impossible ? Thankyou

Last edited by a moderator: 7th Sep, 2021
  2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Start by approaching the OC manager to bring up at a meeting/vote.

The Y-man

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  3. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Lets focus on the question "Can I convert my window into a door" which splits into two questions:
    - "How do I go about requesting permission from the body corporate in a way which maximizes my chances of approval"
    - "Who do I engage to professionally advise me on the cost of converting this window into a door"

If I were you, I'd be looking at the feasibility first. Get a builder or two out to have a look at the job. They might say "easy, here's the quote' OR "big job, get an engineer" (and with any luck, provide a rough estimate before you potentially waste $$ on an engineer). Anything is possible with enough money, but for example, is the door worth $10k to you?

If you've got a pretty good idea what it's going to cost before you've outlaid anything (engineers report will probably cost around $1k if you need it) and you think you're happy to go ahead, then contact the body corporate. Talk to whoever you've found helpful in the past to find out the procedure, it'll end up coming down to a vote in a meeting.

Ted Varrick and The Y-man like this.
  4. jatz

jatz Member

Thank you so much for your replies.
    As they are a very inactive - no interest in approving anything, or even attending meetings style of owners corp, I would need the confidence that it was possible,and also within budget before i approach them.
    Wasn't sure if I also have to get council approval, but thanks, i will contact a builder.

5. The Y-man

That's good. You can get the OC manager to word the vote in a way that "if no one objects within 28 days of this notice, too bad so sad". i.e. if they don;t respond, it is counted as a "approve" vote. Unless the majority objects, you can go ahead.

The Y-man

wylie likes this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

A door is not a window. Does replacing a door with a window still satisfy the ventilation and natural lighting requirements of the BCA for the room?

7. The Y-man

Doing the reverse as I read it : Window > Door

Assuming it's a glass sliding door, only concern would be security I imagine.

The Y-man

Tom Rivera likes this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The op is changing a window to a door hence light/ventilation issues. Not a problem the other way around sad a sole occupancy unit generally only requires a single point of entry.

9. jatz

jatz Member

Yes, it a one bedroom flat. Front door would remain.
    It's the bedroom windows, currently large windows that I would like to change to a glass sliding door.