Owner or Body Corp responsible?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by James M, 23rd Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. James M

James M New Member

Hi all,

I have just received a inspection report from my property manager for my 1-bedroom apartment.

They have mentioned that a loose outside sliding door and intercom need attending to.

The particular door links the bedroom to an outdoor courtyard (of which I also own).
    Considering the door is part of the general common brick wall, who is responsible for any maintenance?

This may seem like a pretty silly question but would like to clarify before paying for it myself unnecessarily.

Similarly, the intercom system requires maintenance. The buzzer works but the user inside cannot hear the person outside.
    I suspect that the speaker inside the apartment is broken (therefore my responsibility) but am unsure how this should be handled considering the fault just maybe outside.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

James

2. Nick Valsamis

Nick Valsamis Well-Known Member

The door is part of your property so should be your responsibility.

The intercom is a building feature which you do not own so shouldn't be your responsibility to repair unless the user has damaged it.

Best to let the property manager to report the intercom issue to the strata agent to handle.

3. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Is James' courtyard door treated differently to a balcony door that even owners aren't allowed to modify/replace without body corp permission?

4. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Check your strata plan and confirm that both are your problem before you do anything. My sliding door on my strata property belongs to strata and has had repairs undertaken at cost to the SP.

Some sliding doors are common property and it is best that you educate yourself anyway as what is your responsibility and what isn't.

5. peastman

peastman Well-Known Member

It's a very confusing subject. I have had a strata manager tell me the outside walls are not common property while another strata manager has told me they are.
    A tree on common property has damaged the wall of my neighbour and maybe my unit too. Strata manager has had tree removed but says repairs to the wall is up to the owner. Does not sound right to me.

6. James M

James M New Member

Thanks all,

I have hand balled it to the strata manager and they have mentioned that the door issue is a private matter.

7. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Check your Strata plan as it will define the SP responsibilities