Owner Builder VS Granny Flat builder

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by JonnyR, 11th Feb, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JonnyR

JonnyR Member

Hi all,

I have just joined up so thank you for including me in the community.

My wife and I have a property in North Ryde (suburb of Sydney). We are looking at building a granny flat. We are faced with the options of either getting our own architect, engineer, certifier, dealing with Council ourselves, and hiring a builder to do the actual build or going with a builder that deals mainly in constructing granny flats who will do a custom design for us and not try push us down the route of trying to shoehorn their standard offering into our space.

The question is which will be a more economical approach?

Will the owner builder option be cheaper but say take longer and may involve more headaches or if the one stop option will be quicker and be more expensive but save on time. given we will be renting the GF perhaps the sooner the GF is rented the sooner it will produce an income. On the other hand if the one stop option is so much more expensive it will take longer to pay back the build cost before getting into the black.

Does anyone have any insight or thoughts on these 2 approaches?

Thanks in advance.

JR

2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I once did an owner builder course - and came.ro the conclusion that I could not owner build, in our circumstances.

The biggest reason for me was that it would require a lot of trips to the building site, often at short notice, which I would not be able to do with the job I had - and indeed, not with many jobs I've held.

3. JonnyR

JonnyR Member

Yes - that is a good point. Working from home currently is suitable - but that will end in the next while and then those become serious issues.