Owner Builder Granny Flat Regional Queensland??

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by John Fish, 15th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. John Fish

John Fish Active Member

Hi Ladies/Gentlemen,

My wife and I currently own an investment property and are looking to expand. We are looking to purchase a property on 900m2 with the house set to front left of the block, which makes it ideal to add a granny flat. We have contacted council about adding a granny flat and renting it out and they are fine with this.

Owner building is something that has always interested me so I'm thinking this may be an ideal project to consider starting out with?

Suggestions? Advice? Obviously we need this to be as cost effective as possible.

Kind Regards
    John.

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Get the Council advice in writing before proceeding.

I know someone in Melbourne who was told over the phone that it was fine to build on a large block he wanted to purchase and retain the existing house.

Turned out that there could only be one house per block in that area, despite the size of the block.

Nothing in writing and he couldn't track down who he'd talked to!

3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

How regional are you? it might be cheaper and easier to relocate an old house from somewhere nearby.
    Buy another block with an old house, then shift the house and you have a vacant lot to play owner builder, and you get the second dwelling

4. John Fish

John Fish Active Member

Funnily enough Joynz the town planner suggested he send me an email confirming in case I had any issues. I received the email 20 minutes after our discussion.....I was very surprised and impressed.

Bob, one of the stipulations is that it must be under 70m2.

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Only use 1/2 of the house

6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Top idea, granny flat on each!

7. John Fish

John Fish Active Member

If I bought another house/block I'd have to mortgage it and I don't think the bank would like me taking the house off it :p. I could buy one though, every now and then they do come up....sometimes free too. I'll suss out what's involved in relocating.

Cheers

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'm not only good looking ;)

bob shovel likes this.
  9. RumpledElf

RumpledElf Well-Known Member

There's loads of small kit homes out there too, or ones they deliver and just sort of plunk on your block.

I'm thinking of building what is essentially a granny flat, I was going to be a raging idiot and owner build it, basically just organise all the contractors and pay for it all in cash if I can scrape that much together, and build anything I can myself. Banks don't like giving me money.

My block is way too steep for a delivered-in-one-piece granny flat, and even on a flat block you obviously need a gap wide enough to get an entire building through.

John Fish likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia