Owner Builder Granny Flat and Intro

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by nzhorsey, 26th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Is doing an Owner Builder Granny Flat really worth the savings... and pain?

1. Yes, it'd be rude not to.

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Nope, so not worth it.

9 vote(s)
    90.0%
  1. nzhorsey

nzhorsey Member

Hey everyone

Firstly just wanted to say a huge thank you to all you legends who have given great advice and input into this chat. The information I have read has been incredibly helpful and insightful, so thanks so much!

A little about us: we live in the Penrith area and bought our first home in Dec 2011 for $335k and we had the house Bank Valued late last year for $580k. We have 4 sons ranging from 10 down to 3 and we are going to use this equity to build a granny flat in our backyard with the main intention being to eventually rent both the main house (a 3br and 1 shared toilet/bath is to small for 6) and the 2br granny flat out. My wife has just started a 2 day a week job and will be going full time in the next two years, so in the mean time we will rent something after the GF build. Hope this makes sense:)

I have just done my Owner Builder's and White Card Courses. I have 1 best mate and about 3 other builders/carpenters who are helping me out, I have other good mates who are an architect, plumbers, and sparky's. Hence why I'm doing a GF owner Builder.

I was hoping to start a thread to discuss my Owner Builder GF and also diarise/log the whole experience (mistakes and all) so it really empowers and helps others to do the same.

So, thanks for having me and any thoughts or input you might have would be heaps helpful as I'm basically learning as I'm going and obviously starting from scratch and loving this whole thing so far.

I have already started the new thread, just search for owner builder granny flat Sydney.

Jay

Last edited: 26th Apr, 2016
  2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Hope you dont need finance

that can oftenspoil the fun

ta

rolf

3. nzhorsey

nzhorsey Member

Nah, we don't need it atm mate:)

4. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

I voted "No" based on my personal experience in doing this.

We thought we were ready based on a few successful renovations -
    but having a certifier involved takes it to a whole new level.

It sound like you have a team around you that will keep things on track - but
    it doesn't need much to go wrong for the benefits to disappear.

5. nzhorsey

nzhorsey Member

Thanks Toni, appreciate the response. How do we avoid the stuff that goes 'wrong' with the private certifier to minimise their impact?

6. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

I think if you are OB a granny flat on a PPOR, that is going to be a whole lot different to doing one on an IP some place. At least you are on-site on a daily basis and so can make decisions quickly.
    If it was an IP somewhere else, then a turnkey granny flat builder would probably be the best option.

7. nzhorsey

nzhorsey Member

Totally agree Alan, I know there are going to be big challenges but as you say at least I'm on site making the decisions:)

8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Renovate Forums is a great website for advice too.

9. Asis01

Asis01 New Member

Hi Bro.. Nice to read your journey to build your own granny flat.. I am from Campbelltown and planning to build a granny flay.. to suit my pocket, I also prefer to do owner builder. We really really need your help if you can please

10. Takingcareofbusiness

Takingcareofbusiness Well-Known Member

I think this will cost you in two ways:
    1) I had one built and it took 10 weeks. You should calculate how much extra rent you would get if you outsourced it and had it done faster.
    2) You could also use the funds as a deposit on another property that would probably make it more lucrative, rather than overcapitalising on your existing block. I would have done better if I used my funds as a deposit rather than building the granny flat.
    But, you will learn a great deal that will be handy in the future!

11. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I thought that perhaps owner building was only allowed on PPOR. But granny flats weren't a thing the last time I checked it out.

.I once did an OB course, and I learnt enough from that to know that I didn't want to owner build.

Granny flats are an income play. They can add a good income to a rented out property. But they don't add value. Typically you might add 50c to 80c for every dollar you spend. But you might get 10-15% income.on those extra $.

craigc likes this.