Owner Builder Building Permit

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Green, 9th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Green

Green Well-Known Member

I purchased a fire damaged home which I will likely be living in for 2/3 years at which point I plan to go buy some land and build my own home as an owner builder.

I need to put a new roof on this home, and at the same time will do new lights, painting, bathroom fixtures, flooring etc. As the roof is structural work, it triggers requirement for a building permit. If the works are over $16,000 I need to get an owner builder cert from VBA which then means I can not do any more owner builder projects for the next 5 years and could not build my house and land.

I seek experience from you members as to whether I can limit the building permit to purely the structural works of the roof, which I can replace for just around that $16k and thus bypass the need for owner builder cert OR if the permit must extend to everything I am doing (incl painting, kitchen, flooring, plumbing etc). Also, I have talked to a handful of builders, most don't want to do just the roof replacement as its a small job and the ones that do cost tens of thousands more than me simply calling up a registered carpenter and registered roofer.

I've spoken to multiple building surveyors, some saying I can cap it at the roof and get that signed off and good to go, some saying I must include the value of the entire construction work.

Thank you!
    Green.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia