VIC Owner being abusive towards Strata Manager (OC manager)

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Northside, 18th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Northside

Northside Member

I live in a unit block of 8, (Victoria) and one of the owners is verbally abusive towards our strata manager. I'm looking for advice on whether there is anything I can do about it.

I'm the Chair of the Owner's corporation, and she's one of two others on the committee. We've had issues with our owners corporation manager, and will be looking to find a new one soon (which is another matter).

Apparently he has spent several hours on the phone to her on multiple occasions dealing with her. All I see is the abusive emails where she accuses him of dishonesty, calls him incompetent, and makes demands of him.

She has also told me that when we get a new Owners Corporation / Strata manager, that she's going to, and I quote "go even harder on them."

From a purely selfish perspective, I'm concerned that we won't get quality service (i.e. frequent and transparent information) from our current or next Owners Corporation / Strata Manager if she is making them feel stressed, bullied and threatened.

Are there any laws to protect strata managers from harassment by clients? Is there anything I can do to get this under control?

(Keeping in mind I'm also being cautious with her, in fear that she will direct it at me if I get on the wrong side of her).

2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I assume "she" is the owner you are referring to. I assume the committee can vote against her requests if you all agree they are nonsense.

I have been known to block abusive emails and I am a heartless so and so who does not know the full details.

3. Northside

Northside Member

Thanks. And sorry I should have made it more clear. Yes, "she" is the owner and "he" is the OC manager.

I don't have an issue with her requests. The problem I have is the abusive way she is communicating with him. I also feel a bit nervous about confronting her on her behaviour as she seems volatile. I often hear her having fights with her partner. I have only been here two years, but I don't want to get on the bad side of her.

4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I dont have any experience with OC Managers and Chairpersons - in our complex (5 units) we are all equal owners and we get along really well. Could you get a book from the local library (or go online) and look up how to get along with abusive co-workers to get a few ideas. Maybe phone your state housing/building/legal authority to ask. It would not be appropriate for a stranger online (me) to comment about such a delicate matter.

Northside likes this.
  5. Northside

Northside Member

Thank you. Yes, much of it is more interpersonal rather than legal / administrative / building related. Tricky.

6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

How would you deal with her if she was a co-worker? - if she was a superior, which she isn't?
    - or if she was an abusive next-door neighbour?

7. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Be the bigger person.

There is a very good chance there is a program running there caused from some perceived or actual wrong doing by someone in the owner previous life.

There is little you can do other than stay polite, and perhaps ask the people affected to let the owner know, that any communication with abusive content will be ignored.

ta
    rolf

craigc likes this.
  8. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Is she the Secretary of the Committee or just a normal Committee member?

Northside likes this.
  9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I assume the OC manager is an employee of the OC management company? There are rules regarding abusive clients in any major organisation, and can lead to legal action against the offender for inappropriate behaviour.

I'd say discuss further with the OC manager, and their procedures.

The Y-man

Northside likes this.
  10. Northside

Northside Member

Just an OC member. We have a secretary, however she doesn't have internet, so she's only really a secretary in name, not in practice.

11. Northside

Northside Member

That's a good idea.

12. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

several hours on the phone to her on multiple occasions dealing with her. All I see is the abusive emails where she accuses him of dishonesty, calls him incompetent, and makes demands of him.

Here is a suggestion.
    (This is not legal advice)

1.Ask her to put all her issues in writing.
    2.Do not spend any time with her on the telephone.

I do hope this helps!

Ted Varrick and Tom Rivera like this.
  13. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Firstly, let the strata manager deal with her like @The Y-man

Second, if these "other issues" are the main cause of her issue, hurry up and get them sorted, so then you can look at possible replacement of the strata manager, (would be handy to know if these are caused by strata manager or not).

Third, try not to get involved, easier said than done.
    I say that as chairperson " I have to be impartial even though as an owner my personal opinion is often different", this keeps them guessing and I don't have to have an opinion.
    I cc the committee in on every email (unless there is an actual vote, and when I do vote/approve something I do so via email to the strata manager only).

Fourth, start networking with the other owners, so at next general meeting you can impose a limit on committee members to 3, and then have someone else voted in to replace her.

Fifth, raise with the committee the additional charges in your quarterly financials, as these calls are likely an additional charge to the OC, when other's know she is costing the majority MONEY the peer pressure might be enough to get her to be quiet :p

14. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

If she is just a Committee Member then she has the right to vote in Committee meetings, and nothing more.

If she is the designated contact for liasing with the Strata Manager then the Strata Manager will have to deal with her abrasiveness.

And, if not, then whomever is the designated contact can just tell her to either:-

1. direct her queries to the Strata Committee, who will consider them carefully, and if warranted, provide an instruction to the Strata Manager, or

2. STFU.

Then you can move on to other matters.

Stoffo likes this.