Own money down, possible to refinance?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by JKWS, 13th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JKWS

JKWS Well-Known Member

Hey Brains trust.

Im a unique position whereas I can obtain a house and land site in a high yield regional area for 80k (normal valuation at least 150-200k).

Rents at around 290pw

If I purchase this using my own money now without a bank, can I then approach a bank once a rental agreement is in place and refinance putting a 30 year P/I loan together to get some money back out of the purchase?

How does it work?
    How much could I hope to get back if the bank valuation was 180k?
    If you do get to borrow back against the property is it money that goes back into my Acc for living and investment purposes?

Please excuse my probably obvious questions, I've only ever bought and sold traditionally :)

Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

That is fine with most lenders - they will require a copy of the settlement notice for proof of equity release funds.

You also need to check that the lenders will accept the postcode depending on how regional it is.

Any reason why you don't finance it from the get go? Is it a serviceability thing as lenders will accept the proposed rental income from the property.

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Refinance means paying one loan out with another.
    Will you have a loan in place?

If not you cannot refinance.

But there may be the ability to borrow against the property. But this will be harder than borrowing to purchase it due to cash out restrictions. Although it is a small amount.

Consider the tax issues too

4. JKWS

JKWS Well-Known Member

Thanks guys,

No loan in place- ill purchase outright with my own money.

So I guess ill be asking to replace a portion of the property value with a loan? So as money used for the purchase is then returned to myself once renters are in.

Banks will not lend me, even though I have the amount in cash at the present moment, just don't meed the serviceability with other prorates etc.

5. JKWS

JKWS Well-Known Member

Say the property was valued at 180k would they offer 50% or 80% or is it also down to income, even if the property rent covers the loan repayments?

6. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

You need to demonstrate that you can service the loan - lenders to lend on the rent purely covering the mortgage repayments. There is a lot more to it than that. How short are you on servicing?

JKWS likes this.
  7. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Consider related party lending.

If you buy with cash and later get a loan the interest will not be deductible.
    If you borrow from a related entity and later refinance this loan the interest could be deductible.

JohnPropChat, Rugrat and JKWS like this.
  8. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

No. This is not possible. Speak to a broker or banker and detail your income and the proposed rental income. If that’s more than your expenses, it possible to get a loan.

JKWS likes this.
  9. JKWS

JKWS Well-Known Member

If this were the case I could purchase in a joint structure to produce the cash flow required, then I guess the lenders would only offer a percentage based on the serviceability at the time?

Saying this, if we picked the property up for 80k and the bank value comes in around 180k- with those numbers, if we were able to get finance against the property, say 60% that's a 108k loan against the property.

Would the 108k be allocated to myself as a line of credit? How does that work?

Last edited: 13th Mar, 2019
  10. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

You need some specific advice.

JKWS likes this.
  11. JKWS

JKWS Well-Known Member

Oh for sure, and I will..

Just don't want to waste anyones time more than I do already ahah!

Thanks for the help

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia