Oversight company in QLD for renovations?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Andrew G, 9th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Andrew G

Andrew G Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I have a rental property in Loganholme QLD which is tired and due to the tenant moving out I now have an opportunity to get some renovations done. I have a managing agent in QLD, however I live in Adelaide, and would like to know if it is worth while to hire some sort of builder/property oversight company/renovation business, to ensure the following ;

1. relevant trades get organised and time managed,
    2. prices are appropriate for the quotes provided,
    3. ensuring work is completed as per quotes,

The main work requirements are ; internal painting, internal re-carpeting, some minor gyprock work (cracks, possible re-plaster of some minor sections), outdoor pergola (some of it to be removed), outdoor de-clutter of trees/foliage, some minor tile (bathroom) replacing, and potentially kitchen repairs/replace depending on standard.

I can get my managing agent to source people and handle it however I am not convinced they would overly care who they get or what the costs are and the quality of work conducted. What would you do if you were in this situation?

Thanks,
    Andrew.

2. TheRayTracer

TheRayTracer Well-Known Member

I would seriously consider taking a few days off work and forming a long weekend (or two) to travel to your property in Queensland and stay a few nights onsite (in a sleeping bag). You sound like you want to freshen up the place, which is great to hear. And you have to be on-site so you know first hand and to document everything. To be blunt, most PMs are useless at these sort of things and in your case, there are simply too many small jobs for the PM to organise and follow-up and care about quality.

It would be way easier being onsite so your information is not second hand. This would also save you time in the long-run. For example, it would be easier for you to inspect the kitchen, determine you need a new oven, visit a local appliance retailer, buy the oven and get them to install it the next day.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I have a brochure sitting here for a handyman and property maintenance man.

Michael 0420 936 904

We do all these things for our own properties, but if you don't want to leave this with a property manager, perhaps this chap could help.

I've never called him, just held onto it in case we ever need to call.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  4. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Have you asked your Property Manager if this is a service they offer? Most probably don't, and shouldn't, oversee any maintenance beyond the usual ongoing repairs in any property- but there are some of us out there that can and do. It may come at some sort of extra fee, but you're looking at paying for that anyway.

5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

If you still need a good handyman, pm me and I can recommend one for you to have a chat with.

6. Andrew G

Andrew G Well-Known Member

I've been able to organise a couple of people to get some jobs done which is a start.

If anyone has any contacts that could do with some work and can be recommended, these items I have not locked in at present and are open to offers for quotes;

- Internal painting of 3br house, pretty average size - some cracks in ceiling, cornice to fix/replace
    - bathroom repairs - need to replace some tiles, some grouting (possibly waterproofing in areas), replacing front doors to vanity
    - removal of side timber carport which is damaged, and front porch
    - removing/trimming of foliage/trees too close to house

Feel free to PM if you have people that could do with some work ...

Thanks,
    Andrew.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia