Overseas Holidays - Anyone booking yet ?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by See Change, 19th Nov, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Had planned to travel to NZ in late January - in the first intake from Australia (only open to NZers and NZ residents).

But the recent announcement is that, even if double vaxxed, still have to self isolate at home for 7 days on arrival.

They will release more info about what that entails in December - but not booking my flight yet…

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

We are booked to be away for July 2022 school holidays. One kid in Year 11 in 2022 and he should be fine, he's also allowed to go on a school trip (skiing in Japan) in the summer holidays between year 11 and 12 if it's happening (been cancelled past 2 years due to Covid).
    We already have been through the ATAR process with a now 22yo and did both those same holidays and it was good for him and didn't impact him negatively . They can't study 24 x 7 and need something to look forward to with a decent break from the normal.

Redwing likes this.
  3. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

Princess states that if you are too young to get vaccinated or cant get vaccinated you cant go. Pretty strict. I'm guessing it will have to ease later.

I have cruise credits and have been waiting but there are discussions starting and I feel as soon as the go ahead is given lots will jump on to book and prices will skyrocket.
    I was going to book a NZ cruise in April but they have disappeared. Then I looked at NZ in November but I have done that cruise a few times and didn't want to spend more money.
    I opted for a Qld cruise up tp Cairns, Port Douglas etc, later in the year. Not exciting but I went with a mini suite as a treat and it only cost me $500 after I use the free cruise credits. Surely the Australian cruises will be open??

Marg4000 and See Change like this.
  4. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

2 people I know are looking at overseas trips, 1 to Croatia and the other 1 to Ibiza. Here's hoping they can travel as desired

5. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

The pic in the brochure.

Cruise ship.jpg

What you actually get.

Drunken Pirate.jpg

Redwing and Lizzie like this.
  6. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

Just booked 10 weeks in the UK June - Aug with my partner. Uses up a some ff points and will allow her to finalise with family the death my partner's mother (Covid). I get to paint my partner's flat in preparation for sale. Chose to go direct via Perth to avoid any issues with intermediate stops.

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Friend had booked to visit family in South Africa in Feb next year ... not anymore

TAJ likes this.
  8. Tuc

Tuc New Member

I wouldn't be holding my breath. Most of the staff on cruise ships are usually from South East Asia and happy to work for little money. So I'm not sure how they are going to get staff now. If they hire Australians then the fares will sky rocket.

Last edited by a moderator: 27th Nov, 2021
  9. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

The ships will be coming down via repositioning either across pacific or via Japan SE Asia . They'll be happy to fly their staff where ever they need to go to get the cheap staff on board .

We looked at booking in early 2021 for now and at that stage the fares were well over normal ( 4k per person rather than for 2 ...) . Booking now for late 22 prices seem on par will pre pandemic.

Cliff

Last edited by a moderator: 27th Nov, 2021
    Travelbug likes this.
  10. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

You'd think you'd at least get the black pearl from Pirates of the Caribbean . Now that would be an " interesting " cruise .

Cliff

11. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Thanks Westminster..you may have just pushed me over the fence!

Last edited: 26th Nov, 2021
    See Change likes this.
  12. John R

John R Well-Known Member

Manage to snag a good seat to Europe on QFF points in July 22 (no return ticket yet) but it all depends upon how the situation pans out over there. Not looking good atm but hopefully clears up by then. Otherwise, it's just flying to Perth if they ever open!

13. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

And now they're talking about the SA variant. Will this mess ever end :(? The Spanish Flu fizzled out but this thing looks like it never will.

14. John R

John R Well-Known Member

Yes, I read about that this morning. The virus is meant to attenuate as it varies so hopefully this strain will be less potent. But as long as we have nations not Vaxxed we will see the virus adapt unfortunately.

15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Yep ... not allowed in until after April 2022. By then it'll be 3 years since I've seen my mum. Thank goodness for technology

16. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Awesome

Our school trip in Year 11 was to the Pilbara including Wittenoom gorge's ( a bus trip from school in Geraldton, though I'm from the Kimberley's)

upload_2021-11-26_17-50-53.png

So this is asbestos - neat

upload_2021-11-26_17-49-48.png

Climbing Mount Bruce, visiting Tom Price etc

upload_2021-11-26_17-52-0.png

craigc, Anne11 and TAJ like this.
  17. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

As well as UK in June, just booked Uluru Kings Canyon and Alice Springs at Easter. Any tips from red centre locals?

technically my next overseas trip is to the Ashes in Brisbane

18. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

As a NZer, you can travel to NZ from January 17 - if you don’t mind self isolating at home for 7days when you get there!

New Zealand border reopening: Your questions answered

Lizzie likes this.
  19. bashworth

bashworth Well-Known Member

We are off to Prague, Scotland and England 2nd quarter of 2022.

By then we willl have had the third (booster) vaccine dose.

Our view is we are going to catch COVID sometime in the next 2-3 years but by keeping the vaccines up to date and being in good health we will survive it.

If we catch it while we are away it just means we will end up paying for another few weeks accomodation before we can fly back.

Heinz57 and SatayKing like this.
  20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'm dual, born in Australia and travel on an Australian passport ... easier for everyone to wait a couple more months