Overly Onerous Council Conditions

Discussion in 'Development' started by Dapa, 28th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Dapa

Dapa Active Member

Hi all,

I am currently looking at a couple of three bed townhouse sites. Both currently old weatherboards on decent sized plots. One already with a DA in place. Amongst the many council conditions for the DA is the requirement not just for a crossover but also kerb and guttering for the full street frontage (16metres) plus a concrete footpath 1.5m wide for the full street frontage.

Can anyone share the likely costs of this requirements please? I'm guessing pouring some concrete shouldn't be too costly and all the other new developments in the area have had to do the same thing so it shouldn't make or break a deal?

In addition council want onsite water detention (less concerned about this now that I've seen a few threads although I will run these requirements past a hydraulic engineer to ensure they are solvable economically). Conditions also mention street lighting to Australian Standards. I haven't seen any other development in the area add street lights, this sounds expensive however. Has anyone else had this noted as a condition or is this standard stuff?

I guess I am faced with either taking these costs on the chin (minimised with good engineers and builders) or buying another site without DA. However in talking to the council planner the same requirements would likely apply at the other site. Do I walk from both sites and find another council!!?

Cheers

melbourne171 likes this.
  2. A.Butler

A.Butler Active Member

Most developments in Brisbane will ask for footpath to be constructed for the entire property frontage. which council are you dealing with?

3. Dapa

Dapa Active Member

Hi AB, Gosford council (central coast of NSW)

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

16m of K&G and footpath is 16m less that the council will eventually have to construct.
    You might need to clarify what the council requires regarding streetlighting - is this a light on your fence or new powerpole?

5. g-dub

g-dub Well-Known Member

K&G + footpath + grass is probably around $300/m ($5k total).

Call Greg Saunders at Connect Infrastructure re streetlighting
    02 9733 3360

My first glance says it's possibly a $5-15k addition. Will that break your budget?