Over 65's Flu Injection

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by balwoges, 15th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Had the boosted injection last week and am just recovering from the after effects, shivering and muscle pain. If I hadn't begun to feel better today was thinking abut being tested for Covid-19 :eek:. This is the first time I have suffered after effects from a flu injection.
    So if you are in my age group beware - I hope it doesn't affect you the same way ... :)

PS This dose is a single + so is much stronger than the usual dose.

Last edited: 15th Apr, 2020
  2. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the warning. My GP is waiting for more supplies: I'm on the wait list.

3. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Thanks for the warning.

I am getting mine at 2:00pm today :eek:.

4. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

I’m not over 65 but had mine done a couple of weeks ago, no issues. 2yo was fine also.

5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Thanks for the warning. Having one for the first timer this year ... hubby's work is offering them to all family for free (already do the workers each year) so might as well have it

6. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

@balwoges is it ok if I ask how long after the injection the symptoms started for you?

7. balwoges

2/3 days ... :(

8. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'm glad you are feeling a bit better now. Sounds horrid

9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I usually get a hot red egg lump that usually lasts a few days.

Marg4000 likes this.
  10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

No ill effects either but I also had a round of other immunisations as well (7 shots in the first round, flu and another couple in the 2nd round & a few more months for the 3rd round), hopefully I'm covered. :rolleyes:

Hetty likes this.
  11. Car tart

Car tart Well-Known Member

Yes not over 60, but I get a very mild case of the flu that lasts about a week after the shot. Worth getting the shot this year so you’re not straining the medical system if you get the full blown flu.

12. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've just had mine 20 minutes ago. I made the comment to the pharmacist that there are still people who think they can catch the flu from having the vaccine. She rolled here eyes and said some people are stupid.

Perthguy, Joynz and Lizzie like this.
  13. balwoges

You are so right ... Felt well until 3pm so think it is going to take a couple more days before its out of my system ... :(

14. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Or as the nurse said to me after being crook for 3 days, you didn't catch the flu from the vaccination, you just get some of the effects

Lady.....my body didn't know the difference

Car tart, Lizzie and balwoges like this.
  15. wylie

LOL... I forgot to ad that they asked me to hang around for ten minutes before heading home (several houses away on foot). I asked one of the staff (who know us very well) if I could just walk home and she held up her hand meaning "five minutes". I wandered to their gift area and bought a beautiful scarf and told her this is why we have to hang around for ten minutes, because of course I couldn't leave that beautiful scarf there. :D

16. balwoges

Yes, I was asked to wait 15 mins before I left the surgery, first time I have been advised to do that, which suggests to me they know how powerful this booster is and are taking precautions :eek:

17. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I have a friend who got extremely sick from having the flu last year - but refuses vaccinations because she doesn't believe in them.

I'm scheduling mine soon.

18. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Mum got hers this morning. Doctor was telling all those in the surgery who weren't coughing/had a temp/been exposed etc to remove masks as they weren't necessary (they were taking temps as you walked in).

Old gent before her was complaining how sore his arm was after the shot (she wasn't impressed nor was the doctor).

This in sharp contrast to our surgery which all staff see in scrubs, masks & spray sanitizer.

19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Under 65 but jabbed today for first time ever. Will let you know how 17 year old junior and I pull up in 3 days.

85 year old aunt in law was sick as a dog, 86 year old father in law no probs

20. wylie

We’ve had them for two years now due to hubby’s immune issues. No side effects except a sore arm overnight.

No matter how many times I explain to MIL that is not possible to do so, she insists she catches the flu just after having a flu infection. :rolleyes:

She also insists she is dairy free. She doesn’t drink milk in a glass but enjoys cheese, milkshakes with extra ice cream, ice cream in a bowl. :D;)o_O

Lizzie likes this.