"Over 5 years experience"

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Bendigus, 13th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Bendigus

Bendigus Well-Known Member

I read this article today about a woman who faked having cancer Cancer con artist told her own parents she was dying

What pricked my interest was that she is now a property manager. I live in Bendigo and I thought that perhaps she is in my area.

A quick google search reveals that she is from Little Real Estate in Port Melbourne. They even have a bio for her online. Notably they have tried to delete it now.

I have copied the part tha irks me the most about the bio. It states she has over 5 years experience. Which is clearly wrong as she was still partying overseas in 2013.

As a valuable member of our Port Melbourne team, with more than five years of experience in bayside property management, Hanna continues to develop her extensive local expertise.

If Little Real Estate was your local agent what would you do? Would you consider changing agent. Even if your past experices were all positive?

2. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want her managing my property. How could you trust her?

WattleIdo and skater like this.
  3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

It was 6 years ago and she was 19 at the time. Her lies were selfish, but remember, she was 19 (an age which has somehow become less mature since I was that age decades ago).

She should definitely, have to pay it back with interest. However, with support - and the right kind of help - she can be a contributing member of society.

Since then, she has clearly moved in a healthier direction by getting a job and probably growing up.

I would definitely give her a chance and not condem her forever.

Last edited: 14th Apr, 2018
    D.T., KayTea and Terry_w like this.
  4. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Just my opinion but she was 19 not 9 and an adult. I definitely wouldn’t want her as a PM, she would have access to large sums of money in trust accounts as well.

To even consider doing this incomprehensible to me and is nothing to do with maturity.

craigc, TMNT, WattleIdo and 3 others like this.
  5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

You are clearly a better person than I am.

Yes, it was some time ago, but at 19 years of age, she IS old enough to know right from wrong. I believe the system was too lenient, as it all too often is, and she has been able to enjoy access to a considerable amount of money to the detriment of those supposedly close to her. I could be wrong, but I would also presume that she hasn't had to pay back these funds, which is the usual outcome. A small admonishment for the criminal, but a large punishment for the victims is not fair.

It is good that she move on & get a job, and grow up.....but I was of the opinion that Real Estate is one of those professions that you aren't allowed to enter if you have a conviction against you. Remember that they deal with Trust Accounts, and other people's money.

Toon and Tom Rivera like this.
  6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Well, she was clearly off the rails and what she did was very wrong.

But I don't think this particular situation should follow her for her whole life!

She didn't steal from her workplace. That would be completely different in my opinion.

As a young and immature person, she told her parents some very crappy lies about her health to get money from them and in turn they asked their friends for the money. She also had some drug and mental health issues.

I also believe that people should pay for their crimes. But it’s hard to know the real situation from the article.

7. Bendigus

I agree that people should be provided with the opportunity to change. Hence, I haven't used her name in this thread to reduce her digital footprint.

But based on the article it was still occurring in 2014. The real estate agent claims she has over 5 years experience. For that to have occurred, she needs to have landed back in Australia and gained a property management job the following day.

Surely this suggests that their were very little background checks completed. I understand the concept of innocent until proven guilty. I am a school teacher, if I have charges pending against me, I wouldn't be emoployable during the time the charges are pending. I am just suprised that this didn't stop this woman from gaining employment.

I am more concerned by who chose to employ her.

8. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Come on, she is NOT the only crook working in the real estate industry ;).

Ian87, pully, S.T and 1 other person like this.
  9. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

At least she was dying to get a job..

Tom Rivera and kierank like this.
  10. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

You probably come across people every day that at some point have been sent to jail and served their time.Many go on to live normal lives and never get into trouble again.
    Does it make more sense for them to stay on the dole for years at taxpayers expense, once they have served their time .

Last edited: 14th Apr, 2018
  11. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Given some of the comments here, each reader should consider the risk factors, in light of what they have read, in placing their own multi-100s of thousands of dollars worth of asset(s), or more, and the subsequent income stream(s), in the hands of this and/or these managers.

And, let's face it, any or some non-self-managed investors may be doing just that.

So, anybody who feels like arguing in favour (or not) of the more high-risk manager(s) (or not), please feel free to add your 2c worth, in the interests of an inclusive and diverse debate, where all comments should be considered carefully, by all relevant stakeholders...

12. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Everyone deserves a second chance. For sure.

But it's a two way street. She would have to stop lying as well.

That look unlikely to have been the case here.

WattleIdo likes this.
  13. Ghoti

Ghoti Well-Known Member

Its a hard one for sure.

If we deny 'crims' access to employment how can they build a life without resorting to crime? But given their track record can society risk putting these individuals in a position of trust?

Ultimately the choice to trust or not is really an act of balancing risks against the outcomes we desire.

I'd give her the chance to make good, albeit with close supervision.

14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Not sure about other states or licence categories but IIRC NSW OFT have a question about fitness to hold a re licence. Likewise for bankruptcy.

Certain parts of the role may be restricted WH interaction with trust accounts, cash handling, bond claims/lodgement & payment of contractors.

15. Jennifer Burns

Jennifer Burns Member

I wonder if she's asking her family and friends to pay her mounting legal bills.....

16. New Town

New Town Well-Known Member

Her background shows she has the right experience to deal with most tenants :eek:

Jennifer Burns likes this.
  17. Bendigus

I don't mind that she has been employed by someone. Good on her. It would be a key milestone in her getting her life back on track.

My issue is that I doubt her employer was being truthful that she has over 5 years experience in Property Management.

It's one thing to omit details of someones past from your resume etc. It's another to fabricate lies. And if done by a business by older more experienced people than that's dodgey.

NOTE... I know nothing about this person or Little Real Estate. Despite my doubts, they may well be telling the truth. Maybe they interviewed this person over the phone when she was in Bali. Anything is possible.

I just wonder if I discovered that a particular claim that made by my property manager was a lie how I would feel and would I do, if anything.

18. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

With that skill set she should move in to sales ;)

19. TheRayTracer

TheRayTracer Well-Known Member

Sadly, both people and companies over embellish their credentials all the time. Have you ever been on a hiring committee and reviewed CVs? And think sales people who over promise what their products or engineers can deliver. It may not be right but if you want to play the game and get ahead you are forced to over state your experience and over embellish accomplishments. Everyone is doing it, so it just re-levels the playing field. The best thing you can do is to be aware, question, and do your own due diligence. But I guess the question is, how far should you need to dig?

20. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

If she is cunning enough to lie about cancer to her own parents. Lying about her experience is a walk in the park for her.

I would avoid completely based on principal

skater likes this.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.