Ovenless apartment

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by jinx77, 9th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. jinx77

jinx77 Well-Known Member

I’ve found an apartment I want to buy but it doesn’t have an oven (but it does have a gas stovetop).

Is it a straightforward process to buy and install an oven, or is it possible that the apartment can’t have an oven installed because it doesn’t have the required specifications for that?

The REA said I can install my own but I don’t trust them.

2. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

If space is an issue you can now buy microwave/oven hybrid things.

Last edited: 9th Nov, 2019
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@hammer - Not really (to your previous amended post). A full sized oven needs a 20 amp dedicated circuit unless it's a small K-Mart special.

Archaon likes this.
  4. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

You might have to spend a bit on updating the circuit board with a 20amp stove circuit breaker etc if there isn't one

Codie likes this.
  5. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

There might be a chance to use the existing wiring with the stovetop and dishwasher. Best to get an electrician to assess. If you're not after a big oven, I've seen a half-size oven. I was tempted to get one for our apartment because the current one is too big. Or just use a bench one, even a AirFryer!

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@jinx77 - is this apartment a studio/bedsit/short-stay accommodation? It probably didn't warrant an oven being installed. A benchtop solution (toaster/oven) with a plug is probably sufficient.

As @Archaon notes, it may require a new circuit which may require major power upgrades to achieve both at the unit's switchboard, new cabling to the main board and possibly a mains upgrade. Many older units were designed with efficiency in mind (they had gas for hws/range & only 2 circuits for power/lighting), anything beyond this became too expensive to build or run.

7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

It's amazing what can be cooked in a little toaster oven!

The Y-man

Dan Wood likes this.
  8. jinx77

jinx77 Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for your input everyone, it’s for PPOR so I really want an oven. I used to rely on a toaster oven when I lived in Japan but it was depressing because I couldn’t bake cakes.

The apartment was built in the 60s so I’m scared that it the wiring isn’t set up for an oven. There’s plenty of space for one. Currently there’s a DW and stovetop, it’s strange that they’ve installed a DW before an oven.

Would a building inspector address this sort of thing on the report? If not would a random sparkie check it out or are there special sparkies who do inspections for buyers?

9. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure you can buy 10amp ovens too. Not sure how good they are though...

10. Silverghost

Silverghost Well-Known Member

Best to get a sparkie to have a look and give you a quote. Any regular sparkie should be able to tell you what's involved and how much it will cost.

It will all depend on the specific property. I had a dedicated oven circuit installed in a 60s era apartment, and it was easy as it was on the ground floor and had subfloor access.

In my current PPOR with no ceiling cavity and no subfloor access, masonry walls - was much more complex and expensive.

Archaon likes this.
  11. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

You may need BC approval for alterations to the wiring if you need extra capacity.

Archaon likes this.
  12. qak

qak Well-Known Member

No oven is apparently an Asian thing - they often just don't use them so replace with a cupboard. Most likely if this unit was built in the 1960s you will have the wiring capacity to have one, it's just been disconnected. Get a sparky to confirm at the meter board.

13. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Its quite possible that their was an oven there at some stage but was removed during a reno, by someone with very limited cooking skills and saw no need for one .
    Many early types were free standing all gas oven and cooktop.
    They are still around to buy , our mother still has one that is over 30 years old and still working.

14. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

You can still buy new freestanding all gas oven and cooktop models.

15. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

May also have to run a 6mm+ cable from the oven back as well and depending on distance to the circuit board could sting you.