Oven replacement and new safety switch in Brisbane.

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by JK200SX, 26th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JK200SX

JK200SX Well-Known Member

Just found out from my PM that the electric wall oven needs to get replaced (Bit peeved about this as the oven was only installed back in 2013 when the house was built.)

The electrician mentioned that when he goes to install the new oven he needs to install a new safety switch as it is currently on a circuit breaker.
    Questions:
    1. Does anyone know if it was mandatory to install a safety switch on the oven circuit back in 2013?
    2. Is it madatory/law that a safety switch needs to be installed now that a new oven is fitted? Also, what if the same model oven is fitted?

Thanks in advance.

2. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Six years is ok for a oven to last nowadays

3. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

Yes it is required to be fitted if any electrical works are conducted on that circuit ie. Even if same oven fitted.

So say the regs dated 01 July 2013

Search Qld Electrical Safety Regs 2013....

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'd be asking the agent for a second opinion from an oven guy not a sparky depending upon the fault.

What has failed? Needs new elements, new fan, indicator light doesn't work, cockroaches have eaten the cabling?

5. JK200SX

This was the email I got from the PM this morning....

Good morning J

We had to send the electrician out to the property as the oven wasn’t working.

Please see his email below - may we please have yours instructions regarding this if you would like to replace the oven or to try to fix it.

Kind regards
    Tanya
    Property Management

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Monday, 26 August 2019 2:48 AM
    To: LJ Hooker Reception
    Subject: 22 st,

Hi Tanya

I looked at this oven last week and have taken it to the workshop It’s probably not worth doing much more with this oven, the fan forced element wiring had broken and active cable was floating in the back of the oven??
    The fan Needs to be replaced due to the amount of rust coming off it??
    The shelving is rusted
    The back cover that protects the fan has rusted away where the screws hold it??
    The oven lamp has blown
    The fan forced element looks ok but won’t know until I can do a load test on it. So possible replacement needed?
    Good news is the grill works..

I will needed to pull the oven apart to fix the cabling but didn’t want to do this until I checked with the owners as the oven isn’t new and probably not worth fixing due to all the problems?
    So rough idea of price?
    It’s cost so far is $80 + gst ( fault finding) Estimate cost if we can get the parts to fix would be $380-$450 + gst parts and labour?

Or
    Installation only of a new oven
    $250+ gst
    Supply, Install and test a new safety switch on the existing oven circuit $150+ gst As per AS 3000:2018 standards.

Plus whatever oven the owner would like to supply??
    I will get the oven cutout size for you I just don’t have it with me at this time.
    Any questions please contact me
    Kind Regards

6. Scott No Mates

@JK200SX - yup, it may be stuffed but I have to ask:

• What is a new oven going to cost?
    • Why has it rusted out in 6 years?
    • Was it a cheapy or a decent brand? (ie not a Bunnies special, end of line, poor reputation brand etc)

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

The price to replace seems cheap. I'd just do what is recommended.

8. Scott No Mates

There is no replacement cost - just installation.

Dan Wood likes this.
  9. JK200SX

1. A new Omega from the good guys is quoted at $465
    2. I have no idea why its rusted? The property is on Mooroondu point, in Thorneside, some 60 metres from the boat ramp. I suspected it could be related to the sea salt?, but I've never heard of anything like this before.
    3. The brand is Baumatic, probably a cheapy being part of the builders range.

10. Scott No Mates

Never heard of the brand - Linky
    List price is around $700 so it may be worth contacting their customer service if it has failed so badly after 7 years. I have never heard of an oven rusting out unless it has been flood affected at some stage.

11. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I was going to say - check for rain leaks ~ might be water ingress behind the oven.

The Y-man

12. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

... or the tenants are using the oven as a steamer.....

The Y-man

13. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

A lot of older ovens and cooktops are notorious for suffering from rust damage and can literally fall apart ,eventually.
    But not after only 7 years.
    Certain types of cooking processess produce steam , casseroles and the use of water baths , think creme brulees etc., nothing new there.
    If low grade or lightweight (thin)metals are used then the process will happen oven a shorter time frame.

14. Scott No Mates

An oven is generally too hot for steam to be an issue (ie well over 100 degrees) and it doesn't cool down instantly. I'd suggest a more sinister cause like a water leak as @The Y-man above.

Last edited: 26th Aug, 2019
  15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Oops! I missed that bit. I’d still buy a replacement oven that fits and just get it done.

Ikea ovens are good European makers with a five year warranty (but not branded as such) and good value. Why not try one of those if they fit.

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.