Oven does not have temperature stickers - tenants request new oven

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Kate, 22nd Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kate

Kate Well-Known Member

Hi all, I am a first time investor and landlord, we have a small victorian property in Melbourne.

It seems our gas oven does not have stickers for the temperature and the tenants are either requesting a new oven or asking to decrease the rent.

I googled the model number (GWH472SNG ) and couldn't find any picture or manual.

I understand the tenant's point of view: if they can't set the oven temperature correctly, they can't use it properly, but buying a new oven or decreasing the rent are not my favourite options.

How can I fix that? I am going through gumtrees, 2nd hands kitchens, e-bay checking for same oven model, but so far no luck!

thanks

K

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Kate likes this.
  3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

You could buy them an oven thermometer.

Have you seen a photo of the issue? With age and cleaning the markings can wear away.

Tom Rivera and Kate like this.
  4. Cadbury99

Cadbury99 Well-Known Member

5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Check with a stove/oven repair company.
    You should be able to have a replacement fitted.
    Marg

6. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Are they getting confused with "Gas Marks"? If it's gas oven they usually have a Gas Mark number, not a temperature. i.e. a recipe might say "Gas Mark 5 for 10 minutes...". If that's the case, Google "Gas Mark to Temperature and send them a print out to stick on the wall.

Failing that, if it was like that when they inspected the property then I don't see how you need to do anything unless it completely breaks down. Just tell them to cook something and if it's raw then pop it back in and turn it up, if it burns then turn it down next time.

EDITED TO ADD - here you go... Google Image Result for http://www.inspiredtaste.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Oven-Temperature-Conversion-Chart-from-Inspired-Taste.jpg

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Kate - Contact Westinghouse.

If the manual predates the internet maybe, just possibly the oven is quite old.

Last edited: 23rd Jan, 2018
  8. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

9. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

Our stove had no stickers when we moved in. I bought them from eBay for under $10 from memory(2014). Measure the dials etc beforehand and do a search...

10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

My gas oven had temperatures on it. Modern Australian ones do.

11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

So does my BBQ

12. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

I bought the tenant an oven thermometer and she is quite happy, says it is far more accurate that the knob setting.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  13. Kate

Kate Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I can not find the manual online. I did contact Electrolux, they said they were going to send me one , but so far nothing. I am considering the oven thermometer. I am not sure if the oven functions knob needs a sticker too. I will update this thread once I solve the issue!

14. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

I had the same issue. I googled the oven model, and wrote down the temperature marks on a few stickers and paste them on the oven, the tenant has no issue with it. Simple. The thermometer is a good idea!

Sackie and Kate like this.
  15. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

Looking at the Oven pic which comes up, I think you could use this sticker and it would be very close. Just line the number up as close as possible

Maybe send them the model info and a pic, they may have something closer even

2 REPLACEMENT OVEN TEMPERATURE DECALS STICKERS + 36 OVEN SYMBOLS DECALS | eBay

P.s
    Use the oven thermometer, set the knob roughly where the 100deg mark would be and when the oven is at a steady 100deg by the thermometer mark the over with a dremel or texta, turn it to 180deg and again when the light goes out and it is at a temp mark that with the dremel or texta, ect.

samiam and Kate like this.
  16. Kate

Kate Well-Known Member

Thanks @Something_Wrong , yes I am thinking about doing the same! I checked gumtree and find similar models and got the position for the knobs and will order the label!
    This forum is just amazing!!!!

samiam likes this.
  17. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

I have seen it marked on with black texta, cant remember where though, perhaps in m single days.

Could place a thermometer in the oven and use that as a guide if you cant get a replacement knob.