Outdoor verandah advice

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Dummy, 6th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Dummy

Dummy New Member

hi all we just purchased this house and we have no idea on how to style/what to renovate. This is the side of the house... the double doors opens from the lounge room or to the verandah. The space is about 10x8m. Currently has shade cloth however extending the roof in the next few weeks. How can we make this look good? I was thinking composite decking however apparently it's not good in our tropical climate and a slat free standing wall parallel to the glass doors. We're stuck and don't have an eye for these things. Any help would be great. Thank you

Attached Files:

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I reckon a good scrub or pressure wash of the pavers, weed removal and cement/sand broomed into the gaps and a neat trimming of the edges and some planting around the edges would look great for almost no cost.

Dummy likes this.
  3. PJ1

PJ1 Well-Known Member

I also find it difficult to visualise my ideas so I get chalk and mark out ideas on the concrete/floor etc to see how the layout of rooms might work as they look huge while empty.

Many factors to consider, aspect, $ etc. Consider what you want to use the space for now and in the future? growing family, BBQ area, future pool, another bedroom.

If you are going to stay longer term I would extend the existing roof line out over the paved area, supported by two 350 brick columns. This would tie the new work in with existing building and not look like an add on. It will also provide a nice high ceiling where insulation, downlights etc could be fitted which will make the space more comfortable (heat and noise in rain).Then if you think you might extend the building down the track it will essentially reduce the cost at that point in time as the roof will be done already. Dont forget powerpoints, taps, services etc while walls etc are open

Good luck and enjoy the ride....

Dummy likes this.