Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

outback NSW trip

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by ellejay, 22nd Nov, 2015.

1. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

I'm planning my fix of outback for next winter (used to do the Kimberley and NT when we lived in those places) but now don't want to drive more than say 10hrs from home in Victoria. I've never really done outback NSW. Any recommendations for awesome scenery, walks, star gazing, 4w drives and accommodation?

2. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

The observatory in Coonabarabran is pretty good for star gazing. I went there when I was younger and my cousins live up there.

As for 4wding Barrington tops is good and it has a nice river to swim in to. We used to go camping up here a fair bit when I was younger because my parents were into country music and they hold a country music festival on a property where you can camp.

3. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Spend some time in the Warrumbungles near Coonabrabran. The siding springs observatory is nearby and certainly are open for daytime visits. Unsure what night tours are available. Nevertheless the star-gazing out there is amazing.

Driving time is 10.5 hrs from Melbourne.

The national park has a really great camping area with hot showers.

Bushwalking is includes some of the most spectacular daywalks in NSW. You will need to carry a large amount of water and start walking soon after sunrise to avoid the worst of the summer heat.

The best walk is the 'Grand High Tops' walk. You will experience all of the following on this long loop walk.

'Beloungery Spire'

image.jpeg

'The Breadknife'

image.jpeg

'Bluff Mountain' - the effort to walk the track to the top of this is highly recommended.

image.jpeg

These photos are from before the bushfires a few years ago. I am unsure if the timber stairs up beside Beloungery Spire have been repaired yet.

The Y-man and ellejay like this.
  4. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Watched "Wolf Creek" last night with oldest son...

5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Lake Mungo is supposed to really good. depends how long your going for you could do a big loop.
    Big loop... drive up through, Albury, Bathurst/orange, Tamworth/Armidale, coona/Dubbo (zoo!), out to broken Hill, Lake Mungo, Mildura and home

6. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Watch Malcom Douglas documentaries which you can view on Youtube. He loved the Kimberely and made many trips down there. He also inspired me to one day go there myself.

7. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

You do mean "outback" dont you?
    I wouldnt call Coonabarabran/ warrumbungles "outback", nor Barrington tops, Tamworth etc.

Outback starts at Lightning Ridge and anything west, IMO.
    Go there and see some real outback scenery and people.
    Might be out of your limit of 10hrs depending on where in VIC you live. Why put that limit on it?

If you want real outback you must go to Mungo National Park then drive up to Broken Hill, then follow the Darling river up to Bourke then across to Lightning Ridge and back home thru Condoblin, Lake Cargelligo, Hillston, Hay etc.

Take a month off should do it.

T.C. and Angel like this.
  8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

It's alright, Isn't Wolf Creek meant to be in WA?

9. bob shovel

NT

Is Australia the best country for murders? There's a lot of land out there, things happen...

ellejay likes this.
  10. Bayview

There's a nice number of very remote places in S.A too....:eek::D

ellejay likes this.
  11. Jeah_

Jeah_ Well-Known Member

This. Also add Menindee Lakes and Silverton to it. Or go out even wider and do Lake Eyre and across the Oodnadatta track. Head up to the rock and kings canyon or down to Coober Pedy.

Take two months ;)

12. Bayview

Yep; this.

One bloke I know has a cattle farm just in the NT, a bit east of The Rock, and the road to the property from the "main h'way" is 200km 's of dirt road, then a further 60km's of dirt to the house.

Only a lazy 1million sq/km's of property.

And that's not really big compared to others out there.

13. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

A million hectares, maybe, but even Australia's largest "property" (covering multiple cattle stations) is a bit over 100,000 square kms, about 11 million hectares.
    Kidman cattle properties up for sale

;)

cheers,
    Inertia

ellejay likes this.
  14. ellejay

exactly what I'm after, thanks for those.

15. ellejay

I definitely want to check out Mungo NP and Broken Hill but hadn't heard of the others so thanks, I'm gonna get the maps out. A month over winter could be the plan.

16. ellejay

It's calling me. The only thing slowing us down will be ability and nerve :) I can do sand and small sand hills but not the really serious stuff where you need two vehicles, hours of digging etc.

17. bob shovel

Have you done much before? What type of 4wd do you have?

I've found a lot of the info out there says it's a hard and cater for "biggest Muppet " to attempt it. We did Cape York by ourselves at the start of the season and we had no troubles but everything you read says you need 2. We took our time and assessed it as we went, and turned back and went a different way. There are usually "chicken tracks "

Get some max tax, air compressor, tyre deflator and shovel

ellejay and Jeah_ like this.
  18. Jeah_

Jeah_ Well-Known Member

I agree.

Sure, you need to be safe; make sure you have 3 days water at least for each person, fuel, first aid kit etc, consider buying/renting a sat phone if you're travelling alone in one vehicle or at least an EPIRB. UHF is also very useful. Extra spare tyre or two.

Research where you're travelling. Check in at places and let them know where you're travelling and what route you're taking.

But you definitely don't need every knick knack that those 4wd shows/magazines tell you that you need.

We did Oodnadatta on our own. There aren't any massive sand hills or death traps, but sure, there can be patches of bulldust and you need to be wary of the weather. It was one of the greatest drives I've had in the great wide open just for the scenery.

ellejay and bob shovel like this.
  19. Bayview

Aah, yes; I stand corrected - hectares is what I should have typed, sorry.

inertia likes this.
  20. GreatPig

GreatPig Well-Known Member

This is why having a few people and other vehicles around can be handy:

CapeYorkCarStuck5.jpg

This was up Cape York near the Jardine River yonks ago. By the time the vehicle was extricated, there were something like a dozen vehicles queued up behind.

GP