OTP Unit - Split System installed instead of Ducted

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by CHE, 16th May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. CHE

CHE Active Member

Hi,

Our Off the Plan unit is nearly finished so will move in soon. Our Contract's inclusion list stated Ducted A/C would be included in the living room and bedroom, however the Developer ended up installing a multi-head split system with 2 separate wall mounted units.

During the 3yrs we've been waiting there has been enough increase in value such that we aren't going to pull out of the deal because of this... But I'm just looking for some advice as I will be meeting with the Developer soon to get to the bottom of this (he will bring his A/C guy to try and sell me a story as to why Ducted wasn't suitable).

It is important to note that our neighbour ended up getting Ducted A/C installed. Please see photos of the 2 Units for comparison: Imgur

1. Hoping to get any advice to try and understand why my neighbours Unit was suitable for Ducted and ours was not.

2. Any ideas on what the roof bulkhead is near the balcony and outdoor A/C units is, in both Units?

3. Wouldn't the bulkhead installed along our kitchen be suitable for Ducted to be installed? Or was this bulkhead potentially not made deep enough? Or would a ducted unit installed along here impact the A/C connection to our bedroom (beyond study, which is the wall adjacent to our kitchen/living room)?

4. Plus any advice on potential ways to be compensated for something not being installed as per our Contract's inclusion list? Noting we won't be rescinding.

Thanks in advance

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

What does you contract say in terms of changes that can be made? If I was the developer I would have made sure the contract was water tight and the any changes like this was covered under "reasonable"changes (can even change the size of your unit).

Is the ducted unit a centralised one (through body corp)? If it is, find out if you are paying maintenance for other people's aircons.

The Y-man

3. CHE

CHE Active Member

The Contract review feedback from our Solicitor in regards to something like this happening was "The Vendor may vary or alter any of the finishes with any type of finish or inclusion which is of similar quality and standard and the Vendor may make minor variations to these. The Schedule of finishes is attached at the end of the Contract."

Although now when we've explained this variation from our Inclusions List to our Solicitor and they're basically saying there is nothing that can be done (as we do not want to rescind).

Thanks for pointing out the potential additional costs under strata. I will investigate further to see if a central system is used, however I don't believe this is the case - as our neighbour, who did get ducted installed, has an outdoor A/C unit on their balcony.

4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

The ducted one's probably more of a pain to maintain long term anyway

The Y-man

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

It’s very hard to answer those questions based on some low res. photos.

Just ask the developer/ac guy. If they say there was no room for ducting, you can get them to prove this by showing you the construction plans.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia