OTP Bedroom leaking Need advise

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Koma, 13th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Koma

Koma New Member

My partner and I moved into our OTP apartment on 25 Aug last year and within a few days of moving in, we found the two bedrooms having damp patches in the corner. We notified the contact person the developers gave us for all defects, and they came and had a looked at it and said it was the caulking on the control joint outside. So they fixed that.... but then we had a massive down pour after the "fix" and the carpet inside the bedroom was again very damp. I contacted the developers again and they arrange for the builders to come and check the place out again. I was told then to "observe and wait and see" as leaks are difficult to pinpoint. Okay so I bought that and did what I was told.

Now in Feb 2018, I emailed the defect contact person again to ask for a meeting to discuss the remaining other defects and was given a reply saying, " ... as we are not getting much traction with the builder this year. What do you estimate the cost of the remaining works to be?" To me it sounds like the developer is trying to pay us off. Problem is I have no idea how much it will cost to fix the leak and other minor defects? My prefer outcome is for them to fix the defects and the leak so my partner and I can have peace of mind that our life savings hasn't gone to waste.

Could anyone give us advise on how to achieve that outcome or advise what steps I should be taking to make sure we aren't been taken advantage of.

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Sorry to hear. I'd say you would likely need to get a plumber to do a quote - unfortunately it will be a "how long is a piece of string" if the leak is not easily traceable (I actually have a plumber coming in tomorrow to my home for a mystery leak too... although luckily this is outside in the veranda. They can only tell me it will be $x to come out and $x per hour to investigate fix), and if it were easily traceable, it would have been fixed....

Hope some of the others on the forum have a better idea.....

The Y-man

3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

This may not be the plumbing ,if it was then the carpets would be wet all the time ..

It may well be the external part of the building,but you could just have a plumber pressure test the plumbing that way you know it's not the plumbing side,then it will be external..imho..

4. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

I would cut your loses and sell now before more problems. "Not getting much traction" is not a good sign as that may happen with the developer as well. Good luck with it as Builder has more responsibilities than the developer

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Plumbers do external (roof/gutter) as well.

The Y-man

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

You have a defect. Discuss with a solicitor

7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yes you are right,it could be the roof or the gutters can't take the flow rate and go back into the roof area'then into the building..But i was thinking it's maybe there is a problem in the external cladding not being sealed right' without a picture it's hard to say..imho..

The Y-man likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia