Other builder recommendations? Bris

Discussion in 'Development' started by Bran, 2nd Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I've had some plans priced, with a 700k build for a high end property on a fairly steep block in Brisbane mid ring south. This is at least 200k more than I wish to spend. I've not yet spoken to him about getting the costs down - he is working on some PPOR renovation plans for us at the moment.

Can anyone recommend an alternative builder? @Leo2413? Anyone else?

Whitecat likes this.
  2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I'll Pm you @Bran . What the builder has done is just very rough ballpark without putting in any effort to get it more accurate . I can tell you that you will need to get the engineering right and a good engineering firm who don't just make it easy for themselves when doing the calculations which cost you a lot more. Also what is the internal living size that you need because 700k is relative to size too.

Last edited: 2nd Nov, 2016
    melbourne171 likes this.
  3. TML

TML Well-Known Member

@Leo could you please PM me with the info for Bran? i would like to know too as i too are building on a slope. thanks

4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@TML are you building in Brisbane? Because this builder is only in Brisbane mate

melbourne171 likes this.
  5. TML

TML Well-Known Member

Not yet but looking serious at a site in Brisbane.

6. GapPhantom

GapPhantom Active Member

I'll be in the same boat very soon... Thankfully, being an Engineer myself (not structural though), I have a pretty solid specification and drawings for a builder to price up...

It's like any contract really, if there is uncertainty, then someone has to allow for it, and normally the builder will have a "contingency" percentage applied to cover those scenarios... The more you can finalise, the less there is that could change or go wrong, the less they have to allow for!

Sackie likes this.
  7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Sending PM

Bran likes this.
  8. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

If any of you do have contract costs, would appreciate it if you could add to the thread below.

It helps when doing feasibilities. The widely used BMT cost tables don't necessarily reflect the actual range of prices being paid.

No need to name builders or provide specifics. Just generalise the details.

Construction cost / sqm thread

9. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

A less than 5% slope set me back with 8k retaining walls....ouch!!

10. TreeChange@50

TreeChange@50 Well-Known Member

Hi Bran
    how did you go getting yours costs down? I've been reading through many of the Development threads and think I have a reasonable idea of the type of house you're looking at and would be interested in whether you ended up value managing the costs. Cheers.

11. ORAC

ORAC Well-Known Member

If it's not too late, talk to Joe Marvilla at Marvilla-Knight Constructions. No nonense, straight forward builders, generally higher spec modern contemporary homes, also has an engineer available in close working proximity. Google search, easy to find. North west Brisbane has a lot of their projects.

wombat777 likes this.