Order of renovations

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Cimbom, 28th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

There’s a house that I’m considering buying but we won’t be able to do all the renovations at once. Of the below, which are the most logical ones to do first (if you had to pick two max):

- Interior repaint
    - New flooring (replace carpet and tiles in living areas inc kitchen with floorboards)
    - Entirely new kitchen
    - Fully update bathroom
    - Get rid of wall dividing meals area and living room to make one big area

I haven’t got quotes etc for any of this yet. I was thinking of the repaint and new floors first but then thought the floors might get damaged if I install them and then rip out the kitchen and/or walls at a later date. But then it could also be difficult to re-floor the house once we have moved in and have our belongings everywhere. I normally wouldn’t consider a house that needed so much done but I like the location and views so think it may be worth it. Thoughts?

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If the bathroom doesn't affect any other rooms, I'd do that now.

Walls coming out means floor changes and patching/replacing, so I'd try to save up and do the walls, flooring together and then the new kitchen, all at once.

After that is all done, last thing is to paint.

If rooms that will not be changed can be painted now, that would work, but I'd not paint or spend money on anything that is going to be changed again soon.

Perhaps you may have to hire a pod to hold some things if all floors must be redone at the same time. If you are carpeting some rooms, and hard flooring others, you can move furniture around to suit what is being done.

Cimbom, Archaon and Pumpkin like this.
  3. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Was gonna say bathrooms first, logically bathrooms aren't thoroughfares so they can be closed off and any trades going through the house will not impact them, if you done bathrooms last then trades would have to walk through all your newly renovated rooms, with the potential to drop paint/mark walls etc.

Cimbom likes this.
  4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Assuming this is to be a PPOR, I would choose:

1. Bathroom (stands alone so won’t affect anything else)
    2. Demolish wall. (This could affect painting and flooring)
    3. New kitchen (this could affect painting and flooring)
    4. Paint - can be done in stages.
    5. New flooring, more easily done in stages.

When my sister re-carpeted her house, they chose the carpet then had it laid one or two rooms at a time over a period of 5-6 weeks, to give them time to clean out cupboards and move furniture. Cost them a bit more for the laying, but made life much easier.

On the other hand, my brother had his house totally re-floored in the one hit. Lives on acreage to had a container delivered and everything moved into it, new floors, then everything moved back into house. Paid people to do the moves.

wylie and Cimbom like this.
  5. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Great ideas, thanks! :)

6. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

Not sure how old the house is but make sure the house doesn't require re stumping as this will have a big flow on affect..

Squeakywheel, wylie and Optimus like this.
  7. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member Business Member

Yes attend to the foundations FIRST...

8. sarcasm

sarcasm Member

I would definitely explore removal of the dividing wall and or new flooring. Depending on the type of wall, the subfloor may require minor works to allow for a larger lintel above (i.e double studs requiring renewal of subfloor).

Logically once you open the area up you can plaster, paint and re-floor any local penetrations.

The other items can be staged (bathroom, paint, new kitchen, new floors).

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.