Opt out of My Gov - Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Joynz, 10th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Doing my tax for 2018\19. Up to the PAYG summary section.

1. Is My Gov the only place to get my annual payment summary of salary/tax withheld etc?

2. Is it possible to opt out of MGov?

2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Why would you want to opt out? The mygov is where all your group certificates should've been reported to ... they also have your bank interest income and basically everything where you've reported your TFN, so no dudding the system

Last edited: 10th Jun, 2020
    willair likes this.
  3. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

2. you can unlink the ATO from your mygov account if you want. Is that what you mean @Joynz?

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

MyGov is not compulsory - but it is the only place to get your payment summary.

If you use a registered tax agent, they can get it for you.

If you lodge your own return, you'd have to call the ATO and have them send it to you.

See: Setting up your myGov account (down the bottom)

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I use an accountant but prepare a spreadsheet for them which has a column for the PAYE figures.

I read somewhere that once you log in to MyGov you are locked in and I just feel really uncomfortable about it.

ff3 likes this.
  6. random

random Well-Known Member

Yep there'll be a way. l'm off the roll , found me a way outa there. Why , well 1 , l'm not being forced to vote, don't think any other country actually fines you if you don't vote no one from os can believe we actually get fined , 2ndly, wth am l gonna vote for anyway , if there's ever again anyone on offer in this country that's actually worth a tick l might re'enroll but only if l think they'll win.

7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

If you do log on to mygov and select the ATO link you are required to agree to use this as your main form of contact, and agree that you will check the site regularly - and a bunch of other things.

(On another page they state that they aren’t responsible for any errors they make....)

Anyway, I just got my accountant to retrieve a copy of my payment summary details from my prefilled tax form.

8. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

do you think they need you on myGov to be able to catch you?

Lizzie likes this.
  9. random

random Well-Known Member

Tbh , l'd have no clue , don't use My Gov . Anything with a name like that l'm staying away from if possible. Though l do know a way you could probably get off it l did it with something else but l won't go into that here.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.