VIC Opinions on Nunawading and Vermont

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by DonJuan, 30th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. DonJuan

DonJuan Member

Hi, newbie here so apologies if questions had been asked before.

So we re looking for a house with decent land size. Budget is 1.2-1.3. Been looking at Blackburn and Doncaster East since lock down but nothing really pop up.

Considering Vermont and Nunawading now.

I like Vermont since it has good secondary school (very important for us) and can go to Mitcham line for public transport. Any downside for Vermont (not familiar enough, we live near Doncaster)?? Also what's price expected for a decent house (600 m2 land)? Seems every seller wants 1.2+ at least :p.

Same questions for Nunawading. But we can't find good secondary school zone for Nunawading except going to Donvale Christian school (non public) . Thanks in advance.

2. Hamlet5

Hamlet5 Active Member

I have lived in the area before and can say Vermont is a pleasant family suburb. The schools are good (esp with influx of Asian families who have been priced out of Glen Waverley...), the houses there are generally big, and the streets leafy. Personally, I prefer Vermont South because it's a newer area and there's a 'central shopping plaza' with Coles and Aldi (Vermont has Brentford Square, but that only has Woolies). Downside of VS is that it's a little further from the train station (though there's the 75 tram straight to the city) and a little pricier. Vermont would probably cost $1.1-$1.3m for an old-ish house on a good land; VS $1.2-$1.5.

Nunawading, on the other hand, has the convenience of the railway line but houses are older and there's lots of industry and mechanic/furniture shops nearby. As for shopping, there's really no central shopping plaza.

If comparing Nunawading and Vermont, you may have to ask yourself what is more important: train station/busy or schools/quieter/leafier?

craigc and DonJuan like this.
  3. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

4. DonJuan

DonJuan Member

Ahh VS is actually more pricey? I thought the other way around. School is definitely our priority. I had looked at Vermont 10 years ago but don't remember it's being a popular suburb like Glen or Bentleigh. I may be wrong tho, been a while. Thanks for your reply.

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, the school performance got better....

I lived in VS, and went to BHHS for a few years (now called Forest Hill college) .... apparently the name change did not help its rankings....

The Y-man

Sackie likes this.
  6. DonJuan

DonJuan Member

Thanks for reply. What school zone is VS? Is it still Vermont secondary? Just wondering why is it pricier than Vermont while PT is a bit worse? Newer burb?

7. Hamlet5

Hamlet5 Active Member

Large parts of VS is still zoned with Vermont Secondary; VS primary schools are very good. I think it's pricier because the houses are generally newer, streets greener (V has commercial/industry areas whereas VS is purely residential), and possibly also because it's closer to Glen Waverley. PT is arguably not worse -- you'd still have to drive from Vermont to a get to a train station and VS is just maybe 2-5 minutes more of a commute; on the other hand, VS does have a tram stop right on its door step that goes straight to Deakin.

8. Hamlet5

Hamlet5 Active Member

Rankings are one thing; the work that Forest Hill does to incorporate things like AUSLAN and to have a strong EAL programs could be why their results fare a little worse -- different educational approach?

9. Skyhighlimit

Skyhighlimit Well-Known Member

Watch out for the pricing for Vermont and Vermont South Dude... I have noticed they have become more popular...
    I don’t care about school zone or whatever I just need train station & Asian vibe but since there is nothing decent in Mitcham and nuawarding between $1.2-1.3... even I have started looking at Vermont and VSouth...
    All for the properties I have look at all happened to be deceased estate, divorce cases, moving to aged care... those “ must” sells ...

Last edited: 1st Feb, 2021
  10. Ashjan

Ashjan Member

I can tell you about Nunawading. There is Nunawading Christian college which includes primary & secondary both. Fee is not too high and ranking is also good. There are new properties coming in Nunawading every day. If you can find try towards highway side of station. Property is cheaper in that side. Area near Blackburn lake, central road is much expensive. I would leave mt. pleasant road as there are many renters. Mt. pleasant primary is also good school. Another area you can explore is Forrest hill or Burwood. Burwood also has good school and good suburb.

11. SuperOlaf

SuperOlaf Well-Known Member

Hi DonJuan,
    I live in VS and lived in the area for last 15 years. I agree with most of the comments above. Given Secondary school is very important for you, you can look at Box Hill High School zone as well. Parts of Blackburn, Blackburn south and Box Hill South are zoned for Box Hill and should be within the upper end of your price range. You can also look at Brentwood Secondary zone in Glen Waverley.

You can find out the exact zones for each school at www.findmyschool.vic.gov.au. I think Domain.com.au lets you search properties by school zone as well.

Good luck.

12. DonJuan

DonJuan Member

Thanks, incidentally i was just looking this morning that Nunawasing CC has quite a good rank. It's a rather small school, isn't it? Will be interested to explore Nunawading area, not many supplies atm tho. Thanks.

13. DonJuan

DonJuan Member

Thanks for reply. I had a look at those suburbs. Pretty low supply atm, so 1.3 can't really buy a decent house with sizeable land. I hope supply will flow soon. It's literally 0 property with our search in Viewbank which is under our consideration. Thanks.

OnTheMarket likes this.