Opinions: installing toilet in bathroom and shower in laundry

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by edtn, 16th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. edtn

edtn Active Member

Hi team,

have been reading through a lot of threads and posts here regarding bathroom and laundry renos and thought I'd post something up to get your opinions.

I've just purchased a place 3 bdrm and 1 bathroom with a separate toilet. I am keen to have another toilet installed in the bathroom (bathroom is a narrow type, pic below post) and to have a shower installed next to the laundry (example of idea provided below too).

Currently, the floor plan looks as follows
    original floorplan.PNG

The idea is to have a toilet and shower installed as per 2 drawings shown below and to have a wall remove separating the toilet and the storage. I've highlighted the installs in yellow

1. ideal design
    renovation image 2.PNG
    2. changing location of toilet if it's easier to connect to sewer line.

renovation image 2.PNG

Can I please seek your opinions and any other ideas into if this type of install would be cheapest - plumbing wise, hopefully can use existing drainage for the new shower install (to be installed in the current storage area) and use water supply from the bathroom next door. See the following pic as an example for the current toilet and shower replacing the storage (door would actually be where the mirror/basin is)
    example toilet and shower.jpg

In terms of the toilet, would it be most cost effective to have the toilet located by the backwall (closer to the backyard)? I understand the toilet/sewer connection needs to be separate from the sink/bath draining.

I've added a pic of the bathroom with annotation of where to put toilet for reference based on the two designs provided above.
    bathroom.PNG

The floor is concrete slab and walls are brick/masonry. Curious about plumbing difficulties in drilling/digging concrete floors and brick walls to connect up to the sewer lines.

Thanks a lot guys

Attached Files:

2. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Are you sure the whole
    House is concrete slab and not simply on bearers and joists ?

3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

If the target market for selling or renting, then you may be wise to keep the bath (with a shower over it). If you are renovating, a toilet would fit beside a smaller vanity/basin.

The combined laundry/shower/toilet may work better as one big room with just the door to the passage and the exterior door.
    Marg

Paul@PAS likes this.
  4. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

IMO, no & no ....

Toilet in bathrooms is not desirable. ..

The laundry toilet/shower .... where do I start?...... pokey, would need sliding recessed door rather than swinging & besides that, why do it at all?

Angel likes this.
  5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Lost me. The two drawings seem to be the same.

If you must change anything, then alter the walls. Make the current toilet space part of the bathroom and fill in the laundry wall so that you have one rectangular laundry with shelving along the wall next to the washing machine. The linen closet space can be turned into a shower if you like, as part of the new larger bathroom.

Is it feasible to spend any $$$ and get more rent or higher value?

Last edited: 18th Feb, 2019
  6. edtn

edtn Active Member

The house is all on concrete slab.
    Thanks

7. edtn

edtn Active Member

Thanks Marg. I have been looking at the possibility of just having the bath and wall tiles resurfaced and have the shower head and taps updated.
    Any idea of relative cost/effort to have a new toilet plumbed in next to the vanity? Wonder if you would need to drill under the bathtub or take the bathtub out to connect to the sewer line.

8. edtn

edtn Active Member

Thanks angel. Sorry there is an attachment at the bottom of my original post with the toilet in a different location.
    Purpose of this is to have two toilets in the house (four people living here) and potentially add value pending on total cost.

9. edtn

edtn Active Member

Thanks for your reply. Any reason you don't recommend toilets in bathrooms?
    If the total install of the new toilet and shower can be achieved for 10k i think it may add some value to the place by converting it to a 3x2.

10. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Can you install an ensuite in any of the bedrooms?

11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Many people like the ability to use the toilet while someone is using the bathroom.

For me personally, I prefer the toilet in the bathroom. It is a personal thing.

But for a rental with four people, having an extra toilet would be a plus (depending on cost and what the increase in rental would be).

12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

We need a bit more information.

Are you a single person and sharing with other adults, are you a young family, etc?

Is it your home that you live in or are you going to use it purely as a rental?

Is this a low socio-economic area where your tenants wont be too fussy?

Will you overcapitalise trying to squeeze a second bathroom into what seems from the drawings as a small house of less than 100m2 ? You might get a second toilet and shower as part of the laundry, but would your target demographic want to live in it?

I'm starting to visualise keeping the shower over the bath but turning your current linen closet into a toilet facing into the existing bathroom, creating a larger and more spacious-feeling bathroom. You then keep the existing toilet off the laundry for when someone else is in the bathroom.

Maybe it is just me, but being older and accustomed to having several people all sharing one bathroom and one toilet (it is perfectly manageable), I would go space over cramped any day.

craigc and wylie like this.
  13. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I would leave it the way it is,because you will have to cut into the slab and it would be costly..imho..

wylie and Angel like this.
  14. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Another option. Shower over (new) bath in renovated bathroom with toilet. No changes to laundry etc.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia