Opinion on these stumps

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Tranquilo, 11th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tranquilo

Tranquilo Well-Known Member

I'm looking at this house as you can see there is some cracking in the stumps and concrete columns.
    I'm wondering is this a expensive to fix. If I had a rough estimate I'll try and negotiate price down.

Attached Files:

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If I was looking at this house, I'd be happy knowing they will need replacing at some stage, but have likely been like that for some time, so there is no rush.

If you call up a stumping company they will ask the number of stumps, height I guess and could give you a ballpark.

However, if you are going to replace many stumps, why not look at planning for having the asbestos sheeting removed, having the house lifted and some steel put in to minimise the number of stumps, and that gives you, or the next owner a big bonus of having a downstairs area ready to enclose.

If you are paying for new stumps, even if you don't add steel to minimise the stumps, at least lift the house at the same time. But losing some stumps saves you money to put towards the steel to open the place out and give you (or the next owner) plenty of options downstairs.

How much this will add value will depend on what suburb this is, house prices there, types of houses nearby, whether they have been lifted and improved, what you pay, what the street and general area is like, whether the spend will reflect in the added value.

3. Tranquilo

Thanks @wylie if I was to get this house it would be at a later date to value add. Main priority is to clean it up and rent. In the future I would remove internal asbestos and resheet and look at these stumps and raising if possible.

4. Tranquilo

@wylie could you recommend a stumping company?

5. wylie

We have always used Budget Restumping. But there are plenty who will give you an idea of cost.

Tranquilo likes this.
  6. Dalts

Dalts Active Member

@wylie @Tranquilo G'day wylie, how did you end up going with this? Did you use Budget Restumping?

I am looking at getting quotes to replace concrete stumps in Brisbane Northside currently. How much should I expect? I have been quoted $550 from one company currently.

Cheers

7. Tranquilo

@Dalts no didn't get this property. It went to multi offer anyway and I didn't win. It went I think about 20k over what I offered.

8. Dalts

Dalts Active Member

@Tranquilo thanks for the info. Did you get quotes for the concrete stumps? If so, how much did you get quoted?

I'm looking for a rough ballpark as I am currently going through negotiation subject to B&P. Thanks

9. Tranquilo

No sorry I didn't get any qoutes. I would give a call to who Wylie recommended.

10. wylie

We've used Budget several times over many years, but we've not needed this type of work lately.

11. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

$550 is the market rate in bne for replacing conc stumps.