WA Opinion on the property below!

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by Deadmutt, 20th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Deadmutt

Deadmutt Member

Greetings guys,

Deadmutt here. First time poster, and soon to be first time property investor!

I've found the following property that has caught my eye, and note, I have actually already placed an offer on it.

I'm after peoples opinion on the property. Ranging from likes/dislikes, to analysis, whatever people can be bothered to do. This is more just for fun that basing a decision of any sort off. I would just like to see what other people think about the place.

I also wouldn't mind opinions on putting solar panels on an investment. My brief research suggests has revealed many articles say it's not worth. But to me, surely when renters are looking, even if you don't advertise for more money, I believe it's more attractive to shorten times looking for, or to help keep tenants! a 3kw system shouldn't really be more than around $3500 anyway. which is minimal in the grand scheme.

Anyway, some background information!
    Cash on hand: 90k
    Shares:80k
    Owner occupied house: Build for 600k in 2016
    Mortgage: 390k
    Income: ~ 150k

I look forward to the responses!

99B Gateway Boulevard, Canning Vale, WA 6155

2. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Offers can be withdrawn before acceptance.
    What you learn off posts on here.
    Nope.
    I would guess low prospect of capital growth.
    Very small land area.
    Rent won't cover interest repayments.

Last edited: 21st Jan, 2019
  3. Deadmutt

Deadmutt Member

Cheers for the response mate!

It's currently leased for $350 a week, although my property manager thought more like $380/$390, which will cover the interest easily.

4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

You forgot the "Welcome" on the first line :D

The Y-man

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

IMHO Worst thing you can do.
    1. If you buy it and people slam it, you are going to have the worst buyer's remorse this side of the planet
    2. You've already put an offer and let people know where it is on the open internet - usually not good for negotiation purposes (what if people tell you it is crap, get you to rescind you offer and then go and buy it?)

The Y-man

Shogun and Deadmutt like this.
  6. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Not many properties in WA would be cash flow positive.

Other out going costs
    Council rates
    Water rates
    Building insurance
    Renters insurance
    Property Management 10% to 12% (totall for year) of rent collected in WA if using a PM
    Maintenance
    Loan fees
    as well as bank interest

The money used as a deposit could be invested elsewhere so you are losing that income

Income
    rent
    any tax benefits from NG

Last edited: 21st Jan, 2019
  7. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

The Emperor's New Clothes is a story from my childhood I remember.

Mine is
    Nope
    Why? Land area is small, Prospect of capital growth I would guess to be low, what would the drivers be in that area for price increase? not many properties in Perth would be truly cash flow positive, looks like a "developer quality" build. That is my 2 cents may well be wrong. Searches on here don't suggest Canning Vale is a future stand out.

Ask a question, don't like the answer don't make it wrong.

your welcome

8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Welcome!

How much actually is it? It's been on market for 161 days and started at $410k lowered to $399, then from $379k then all offers presented.

The current owners bought it for $382,500 in 2016 which was a better market than today so I would say that are holding out to reduce their losses but it's evident that it's not worth what they paid now. Even when they bought it, it was on the market for 150 days and started at $450k and ended up at $382,500

So it's been quite troubled finding buyers both times it sold.

From an aesthetics perspectives the style of the exterior and interior is not modern or pleasing to me. It would be a hot little shoe box. A single garage will turn a lot of people off it as canningvale doesn't have the best public transport system so people will most likely have 2 cars

99C Gateway sold for $382k in Feb last year on more land, has an additional bedroom and bit better style https://www.realestate.com.au/property/89c-gateway-bvd-canning-vale-wa-6155

Depending on what you could pick it up for it's a no go for me unless it was a complete bargain (like $320k) but even then I wouldn't be expecting great things in terms of capital growth

9. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

All depends on what your offer amount is as to whether this is a worthwhile purchase (don't think you've disclosed this?). Being such a buyer's market these days I would hope you've thrown in a lowball offer. I wouldn't go over maybe$360K personally but am no expert on this area.

Be cautious relying on your PM's prediction of being able to achieve an extra 10% rent immediately. Yes it's a neat and well presented place, but so are many houses in the area and median rent in Canning Vale for a 3 bed is $360 P/W (according to RE.com), and you would be competing against bigger 3x2s with double garage etc. 87 m 2 is very small floor area for a 3x2, and the block is tiny.

The Nicholson Rd train station is being built nearby (don't know how much this has already been priced into the market though), but will still be a 26 minute trip to the CBD. I would say minimal prospects for above-average capital growth and there is probably better investment buying elsewhere in this Perth market.

10. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Agree with the other Perth investors here to say it appears to be a very average investment property at best, and probably in the "bad" category.

Canning Vale is an awkward suburb to invest a lot of the time, and buying something with tiny land component with a premium price (because of the new-ish house) would be something pretty sub-par imo.

11. Deadmutt

Deadmutt Member

Cheers for all the responses! I'll take them on board.

Is there any suggestions for where to potentially turn my efforts for a price range of approx $350,000?

12. Westminster

This is the type of thing I'd look at in that price bracket 1 Wade Street, Gosnells, WA 6110
    You'd need to do your own feasibility on it to work out if it's worthwhile but it has land, the ability to carve off another block and keep the current house which you could renovate to improve if you wish but it's in pretty good state as is - I bet there are floorboards underneath that shaggy carpet though

13. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

@Kapot

14. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Aside from the property itself, PLEASE don't use cash as your deposit for an IP, as you're literally throwing away thousands in deductions over the course of your loan. You'll be much better off debt recycling the cash through your home loan - this is a great strategy we show our clients that will reduce your home loan, and increase your deductible debt.

Rex likes this.
  15. Deadmutt

Deadmutt Member

I did intend to use some cash to keep my overall LVR below 80% I can't remember the exact figure but it wasnt an awful lot to dodge LMI

16. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Are you cross colling?

17. Deadmutt

Deadmutt Member

Yeah potentially. The finances haven't been fully set in motion. I've had a couple of chats with a mates dad who's a broker but not gone too deep into direction etc

18. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

And youve already put in an offer?

19. Deadmutt

Deadmutt Member

Yeah they didn't end up taking it, so I've backed off for a bit. Considering other options, from other properties to maybe other asset classes now.

The Y-man and Westminster like this.
  20. Westminster

Take some time and get your bases covered with knowledge and strategy.
    The deal of a lifetime comes along once a month

Deadmutt likes this.