Opinion on E4 land - North Kellyville

Discussion in 'Development' started by Silva, 6th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Silva

Silva Member

Hi everyone, Would love to hear your thoughts on building on E4 land what the pitfalls are if there are any. There are many house and land packages being advertised for fair prices on 600sqm blocks.

2. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

The main pitfall is most likely bushfire risk. This will add significant $$$ to the cost of construction to make it compliant. I expect there will also strict limitations on landscaping.

House lots are most likely on ridgetops and this is the worst place to have a house in a bushfire. I've also been in situations at the bottom of gullies with wind racing through during a hazard reduction. Not a fun place to be.

Try and find out from the developer what the BAL rating is for the block.

Building Construction and Design - NSW Rural Fire Service

There is a chart here with the construction requirements for the various BAL ratings

http://www.bal.net.au/BAL-Chart.pdf

NB - ex Rural Fire Service member (many years ago) and I wrote software to model bushfire behaviour at Uni.

Silva likes this.
  3. Silva

Silva Member

thanks @wombat777 for the great advice. I thought bushfires may be an issue so I will drop this idea.

Another lot I'm interested in is over 100m to the nearest bush but on a ridge, any thoughts on this? It is surrounded by other houses.

4. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

If you're worried about bushfires, 100m is nothing. Fire will jump that quite easily.

Another factor you need to take into mind is how easy the land is to build on. Are there massive rocks thay need to be removed/chopped etc? This will add significant cost. A mate at work bought one near there, and is spending an extra $60-80k now that they've realised what needs to be done to get the land ready for building.

And with what @wombat777 was saying, due to the fire hazard (hes got a pretty low BAL, considering), he still has to do metal framework.

Just be careful. Costs can add up VERY quickly.

5. Silva

Silva Member

thanks for that @mikey7 the land is pretty flat, no trees/rocks and zoned R2. The agent is saying either 0 rating or worst case between 12.5 - 19 bal rating. Land is being cleared all around this area as lots of E4 zoned land coming for sale.

6. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Ask the developer for a borehole report.

They may have one. Will indicate depth to rock.

What is the soil classification? In that area, be wary of anything other than M, H1 or H2.

mikey7 likes this.
  7. Silva

Silva Member

thanks for this advice, much appreciated