Operating from a residential property

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by RoboHaus, 23rd Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. RoboHaus

RoboHaus Member

Hey,

I would like to ask the forum people's experience with running a business from a residential property (zoned residential, not mixed use). Not just a small home based business, but using the whole premises for the business, every bedroom, lounge room, open space and garage?

I am interested to learn whether anyone here has, and what issues had to be overcome with council?

We are looking to convert our business from online to bricks and mortar. Our business includes;
    • retail (selling products)
    • training / education classes
    • hands on workshops
    • entertainment (birthday parties and corporate)
    We understand that retail is going online and we could hire venues as needed. However having everything in one location would allow us to;
    • establish ourselves as a destination
    • allow us to cross sell products and services to different customers who visit us.
    There are 3 options we are currently considering;
    1. Set up in a purely commercial property. In our commercial property services we have considered a light industrial unit for the space we want - however some light industrial zoning prohibits entertainment and education services.
    2. Mixed use. These are quite interesting and we have seen a few that interest us. Some which have separate retail and residential would allow us to keep costs down by renting out the residential section - or expand into later as small training rooms or workshops and those with a kitchen would allow light catering.
    3. And the last category, residential...?

Thoughts?

Regards
    Michael

2. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Hi Michael

In Brisbane City Council area this is difficult at present.

You need to speak to a town planner about the process for your council area

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Plenty of houses around here used as consulting rooms - used to see that in parts of Adelaide too.

Could be problematic having workshops or entertainment on the premises if in a residential area. Parking may also be an issue.

First step would be to check with council as RPI mentioned - rules are likely to vary significantly based on the area.

4. Srini Ranganathan

Srini Ranganathan Active Member

If you have a chunk of money sitting in super, you could also consider buying a commercial property in super and leasing it to your and other businesses.

5. RoboHaus

RoboHaus Member

I am also considering the super angle, ideally a mixed use which would be leased residential if our business needs to move and we cannot get a commercial lease in a bearable time frame.

I'm thinking residential on main roads which would have a noise issue anyway.

I understand talking to council will be necessary, just interested to hear other people's experiences.

For example, professionals like Doctors, Dentists etc, who appear to operate out of residential homes in the middle of suburbs. I assume they are in normal residential zones?

6. PropertyManagerstsv

PropertyManagerstsv Member

We agree with the above. it would be a difficult case to push through.