Opening a fish and chip shop - Looking for views/Opinions

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by LouLou7, 29th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

The WF Plastics was $214 inc gst for 5,000 tubs and lids ... don't know if included delivery as didn't go that far in the checkout (as I don't want to buy them) ... so that worked out just over 4c each ... perhaps closer to 5c with postage

3. teetotal

teetotal Well-Known Member

Condiments are a must.
    The very reason i like to choose Guzman Gomez against any other mexican fast food even though the actual food tastes very similar.

LouLou7 likes this.
  4. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Don't forget the lemon wedges :D with the fish. As long as your product tastes great and service is done with a smile and consideration customers will return regularly. I noticed a recent cafe had a suggestion box when they first opened up, which I think is a great idea. Customers may not tell you to their face that their fish was cold/chips were soggy/sauce was too salty but they will write it down anonymously, if they genuinely want to have a great local Fish and Chippery. Good luck!

LouLou7 likes this.
  5. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Up at Forster where I go often, there is a fish and chips shop that kills it. They do really well - good food, great systems, really good young staff in uniforms etc.
    On Tuesday nights, I hear they have a pensioner discount. They turned what was a slow night into a busy night - and created a bunch of loyal customers (and their families) who go back on other nights. The other fish shop across the road never seems to have many people in it.

Gockie, LouLou7 and Jacque like this.
  6. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

dont forget the lids my dear lizzy!!!

MrChomp likes this.
  7. LouLou7

LouLou7 Well-Known Member

Good idea thanks Jacque.

8. LouLou7

Thanks everyone so far for your comments/Views.

The location I have in mind is touristy and upmarket. I'm thinking of trying something similar to this - Hooked - Fish & Chipper - Fish and Chips Melbourne I think this kind of product will be in high demand in the chosen location.

Ambit likes this.
  9. LouLou7

Thanks for that. I will PM you.

MrChomp likes this.
  10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Holy heck... they really are that expensive.

The C4 Container & Lid’s price:
    1 sleeve/100 C & L - $ 7.94
    1 Ctn/1000 C & L - $72.26

Last edited: 8th Feb, 2016
  11. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

That's right. Everything is expensive in Australia

People don't realise how much everything cost and complain when you increase the prices 5-10%

MrChomp likes this.
  12. Gockie

High labour costs in Australia, the labourers, the front office staff answering and taking calls, the delivery drivers, the vehicles you need to run the business, the IT infrastructure and IT support, the Accountant, the marketing, plus you need to buy the boxes, you have to watch the pallet costs, put that together along with a smallish market, high costs to own and run the machinery (and to run too - they need fixing and maintenance).

There must be a much higher markup on the sauce containers than your normal food containers too because its not a volume sale for the container company and they would need to do special runs of it whereas your 650 containers are the volume sale... (I spent a few years in high school holidays helping out at my aunty's company....)

Note that the markups on plastic containers used to be much higher in the 1980's but then more competition came in.

13. MrChomp

MrChomp Member

My point was that in a customers mind it's 10c worth of sauce but the 10c doesn't even cover the labour and tub

14. Gockie

Understood! Which is why they charge 50c - $1 for it...

MrChomp likes this.
  15. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

what about if you just had a squeeze bottle where the customer could squirt some sauce like a meat pie

$2 for 700ml, , each squirt would be say 30ml, so 10c each,

Suppose plus container thats 20c,

pretty expensive

16. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

17. 158

158 Well-Known Member

By virtue of not understanding 'Sauce Economics 101', I hope you never open a take away food shop.

A good operator will provide containers of sauce or those condiment sauces for $x price, otherwise there will be wastage and abuse of the system way beyond '7c per squirt'.

You see, providing a container with a set amount of sauce (portion control) gives the operator a clear 'cost of goods' delivered, and has a set 'sell price' for that portion thus can clearly work out a positive margin on the sale every single time.

Otherwise you are going to get those people who pay you 7c when they are the type of people who are "Would you like a half dozen chips with your litre of sauce sir?". Who is going to police it on a busy Friday night, or anytime for that matter? Imagine chastising a customer for more than their fair share of 'squirt'. Your business would be a laughing stock, and rightly punished on FB etc for the masses to see. Remember you're in a business where reputation is everything, and the only true advertising for repeat and new customer base is 'word of mouth'.

Condiments and extra add-ons (soft drinks, lollies, ice creams etc) generally found in store are where the real margins are, and you're trying to cut that fat away from the operator.

pinkboy

MrChomp and Lizzie like this.
  18. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

No ****!

It was just a analysis of the raw cost

Do you think that i didnt know that if it waa free people woulsnt squirt like crazy??
    You also get people who dont want thay much sauce too. But there will be an industry average that an average person uses

What? Who mentioned about policing sauce. If you have to police it . Then its not worth having. Its like micromanaging in the workplace.

I only brought up those figures because like someone else mentioned i too feel ripped off paying for sauce. The analysis was to see how much it actually costs.

The next step would be to see how much those packets cost and to see how much they sell for. And to compare the margins on 1 sauce pack vs 1 serving of chips.

Which i have no idea as i don't run a shop nor put sauce on my chips

19. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

There are places which allow you to add condiments yourself. It's more common to see this in other countries, but the takeaway food section at Costco comes to mind- you can add as much tomato sauce, mustard and chopped onions as you want. I remember going to burger places in the US where it was usual for people to have the burger swimming in every possible condiment.

20. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

And start watching the show Cheapskates where people bring in their own containers to take home condiments