Opening a fish and chip shop - Looking for views/Opinions

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by LouLou7, 29th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

Grow a lemon tree and include it with fish purchased

LouLou7 likes this.
  2. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

The occasional dimmy or potato cake thrown is used to make me loyal too.

LouLou7 likes this.
  3. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Sorry, I bow to your superior knowledge in this subject matter. How silly of me.

4. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Im talking generally here and not about you specifically, bad day at the office?

5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

LouLou.... we wanna try your fish and chips asap!!! Let us all know when it opens....

LouLou7 and MTR like this.
  6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Perthian here - this is what I'd like to see

1. Different cooking methods - yes battered, yes grilled but also tempura batter with fillets of fish cut longways.
    2. No crumbed frozen prawn things - hate them. Real prawns in a light batter - again tempura would be good
    3. If you are doing a tempura batter add in some tempura veggies so that people can think they are being a little healthy. Sweet potato, zuchini, eggplant - veggies that keep and easily prepped
    4. Different menu items: Fish burger (mentioned above), fish soft taco, fish wrap, scotch eggs (I know not fish but most F&Cs do crumbed sausage), home made tuna or salmon patties, fish/prawn skewers
    5. Make your own aioli and tartare and sell at reasonable prices (price points mentioned above) it's easy and tastes wonderful
    6. peri-peri salt for chips

Basically I want a mexican x japanese x fish and chip shop :)

My fish and chips does a kids pack which is $7.50 and is half a fish and some chips. Complete rip off but there is some money to be made if you can have some special small person meals - ie half a fish wrap, small fish burger and chips.

I would say no to delivery as it would need to go out the store door as soon as it's ready and only one delivery at a time - this isn't economical. Pizzas for example can/will have 2-3 deliveries at once.

[​IMG]

7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Be modern with your marketing - if you are buying an existing place - have some money to give it a cosmetic spruce up. A modern signage can go a long way

[​IMG]

LouLou7, TaylorChang and Gockie like this.
  8. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Those are fries, not chips. You don't sell fries in a fish and chip shop.

But yes, if you make a great tartare and people will come just for that.

There's a store near us who make their own and bottle it to sell - I've seen people come into the store just to buy bottles of tartare to take home.

LouLou7, Greyghost and MTR like this.
  9. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

A free lemon tree with every fish purchased? Bargain.

Like Sherlock Holmes.

A lemon tree my dear Watson.

Ambit, Westminster and Greyghost like this.
  10. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Also, check out these guys - Ocean Foods in Drummoyne. Family business run at that location since 1984 (with the family being in the business since long before that).

Ocean Foods Drummoyne - Best Fish and Chips Sydney

Their tagline is "Best Fish and Chips in the Universe", which is a pretty big claim.

Makes people want to try them just to see what the fuss is about.

They run a pretty slick operation - lots of fresh seafood available for purchase (very large display cabinets full of seafood and very nice looking salads), or they'll cook something up for you on the spot from their extensive menu.

[​IMG]

Wasn't impressed with their fish - don't like what they use (might have to choose something other than the generic fish).

Fish burger was too big - much more than I could eat. Fish cakes would feed a family for a week (too much veggies). But some of their other stuff is great - there's something for everyone there.

This photo of their fish burger doesn't do it justice. It's about 25cm long and over 10cm wide.

[​IMG]

I prefer the fish at my local fish and chip shop - but since I drive through Drummoyne a bit, I don't mind stopping at Ocean Foods occasionally for a feed. The service is pretty good - and it's always fun to watch the family dynamics at work behind the counter.

LouLou7 likes this.
  11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

;)
    wow, now you got my attention, I am fascinated, I am a sucker for anyone who knows the key to perfect chips........;) mmmmm. lol

Last edited: 30th Jan, 2016
    LouLou7 likes this.
  12. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

I must be the only one who likes soggy chips?!

13. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Anywhere near the areas that the tourists will be wandering around the most - near the beaches.

Don't ovethink this;

Prices as per the going rate - don't have to be the cheapest...folks only ever talk about the quality of the food, you'll find.

Fresh food of course, fresh oil (you can taste stale oil), cook the food reasonably fast (people are impatient these days), always throw in an extra potato cake.

Plenty of up-to-date magazines and the local papers to read while waiting (nothing worse than 2 year old Womens' Day mags - unless they are summer editions and there are lots of bikini-clad celeb females in them;))...oh; and a tv to watch.

Decor - chairs that are attractive to look at and a little bit comfy...most f&c shops feel like a warehouse and have horrible chairs.

Not much else required.

LouLou7, ellejay and MTR like this.
  14. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

Don't use those crappy bulk-made potato cakes / scallops. Proper hand made ones only.
    And quality fish. Out local has a great sea perch which is delicious, firm and white fleshed.
    Had it last night!

LouLou7 and MTR like this.
  15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

LouLou

I would also have a look at these businesses/model, and take what you can that makes sense.

These businesse have been around for years, they are successful, runs on the board and getting it right.

Sweet Lips fish and chips in Leederville
    Swish and Chips in Mt Lawley

Perhaps location helps.
    They are not your average fish and chip shop, perhaps there is a point of difference find out what it is and copy it. Just my thoughts.

MTR:)

darrenonsnow, LouLou7 and Westminster like this.
  16. sauber

sauber Well-Known Member

crunchy chips!!! :D :D :D and yes heaps of tartare sauce! very important!

17. LouLou7

LouLou7 Well-Known Member

Thanks. I will go take a look at these places tomorrow :)

I have heard Sweet Lips is very good but not heard of the other.

18. LouLou7

Looks like I will need to become an expert at making tartare sauce as I see it is very popular. Crunchy chips too. I'm originally from the UK so was going to purchase a rumbler/chipper and make my own chips anyway instead of the frozen stuff you tend to get in most F&C shops. Mushy peas will be an option too..Not sure how many people eat it but I will try it out and see. :D

Looks like I will need to get planting some lemon trees as well..I would like to have a wedge of lemon available but like most say uneconomical if buying them already grown.

ellejay likes this.
  19. LouLou7

Yep I will be looking at a modern set up/lay out. Those are nice designs

20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Swish and Chips is in Mt Lawley

LouLou7 likes this.