Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Opening a fish and chip shop - Looking for views/Opinions

Discussion in 'Small Business' started by LouLou7, 29th Jan, 2016.

1. LouLou7

LouLou7 Active Member

Hello all

I'm aiming to open a fish and chip shop within the next 6 months in Perth. I'm looking for your views and opinions on what you like to see in a fish and chip shop and what you look for when deciding what/where to buy when it comes to fast food/takeaways.

I'm still looking at locations so open to suggestions for where a good chippy is needed in Perth. Do you think sticking close to the coast is the safest option?

Come on people - what are your hates/dislikes about fish and chip shops (and I'll try to avoid making those mistakes)

2. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Don't be tight with your sauce. If I was given a huge freaking tub of tartare with every purchase (or at a reasonable price) you'd have a life long customer in me. I love my condiments. Nothing is worse than asking for some sauce and receiving a little packet for half a kilo of chips.

Funny thing is I'm standing at a fish and chip shop right now.

Also I was thinking why not just buy cartons of regular off the shelf sauce bottles and sell them at cost price. You're not in the business of selling tomato sauce etc. So don't get greedy like other shops - this is not where you'll make your money. Even RRP would still be considered cheap when buying out and people would love it. I eat this stuff by the gallons. I could drink a cup of it daily. You should see my meat pies - you won't even see the pie, just what appears to be the scene of a crime.

Alosraonline.com | MasterFoods Tomato Sauce (In Bottle) 250ml

Last edited: 29th Jan, 2016
  3. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Good old fashioned service.

Arnel, sauber and LouLou7 like this.
  4. jaybean

Also here's an idea. People like fish burgers but the ones from McDonald's are a joke. They are way too small and you need like 10 to fill you up. Once I went to buy a battered fish from my local shop, went next door to the bakery to get a huge ass freshly baked dinner loaf, prepped my own lettuce and mayo and made the mother of all fish subs. It was so amazingly fresh and crispy.

I've never seen a fish and chip shop offer this before. Do it. Do it!

Last edited: 29th Jan, 2016
    hobo, Bran, Westminster and 3 others like this.
  5. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

My local does excellent hamburgers and the deep sea cod they use for their fish tastes fantastic.

LouLou7 likes this.
  6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Make sure you keep the cooking oil fresh. Nothing worse than stale cooking oil, I still shudder at a bad experience in Kalbarri in WA.
    Marg

Jacque, MTR, LouLou7 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Oh, and never ever ever use "fancy lettuce" in a burger (fish, beef or otherwise). If I wanted my burger to taste like sea weed, I'd eat sea weed.

MrChomp, Leo2413, jim1964 and 2 others like this.
  8. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

If you are going to build up hype around the new shop make sure you have enough staff on in that first week to deal with the influx of curious people looking for a new local T/A.

We drummed up business for Chrissy's parents by door knocking every single business in the main street. We immediately lost all the local bank staff (5 banks worth) because their lunch breaks were strictly 30 minutes and they couldn't wait for fresh food to be made.

If it's a lower socio-economic area be careful about having outdoor tables, we also had an influx of undesirable types take up all the outdoor tables and not only did it turn away good customers, it brought the reputation of the T/A right down.

EDIT: Also, and this is very important, never EVER underestimate the appeal of attractive staff. The coffee shop near my work was owned by a very attractive blonde South African lady and her Muscular Italian husband - the lines were out the door. They started from scratch and rumor has it sold one year later for well over the $300k mark.

They opened another one and repeated the process a year later, this time minus the husband (I think they did something sneaky with the ownership structure to be able to trade again straight away)

TaylorChang, LouLou7 and larrylarry like this.
  9. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member Premium Member

So does Obi-Wan ... "use the sauce Luke".

charttv and SerenityNow like this.
  10. SerenityNow

SerenityNow Well-Known Member

Thirded (after Obi-Wan) on the sauce.

11. jaybean

Also the other thing I've always wanted was an option in the way the chips are cooked. I'd put in my sign "Regular or Super Crispy"

Regular chips I don't like. I like them cooked until they're super crispy like at McDonalds. I've heard others say the same too but no one ever cooks them like this except fast food joints.

LouLou7 likes this.
  12. MRO

MRO Well-Known Member

Quality local fish. I would rather pay more and eat local fish than eat the **** served at my local.

LouLou7 likes this.
  13. Investig8

Investig8 Well-Known Member

Hey Loulou, and welcome.

Certainly interesting first post.

I'll be the first party pooper and ask, is this in your expertise?

A.) Have you run a business, more importantly this type of business before?
    B.) Have you assessed the competition in the local market and looked for all/any of the weaknesses you can exploit?

I could go on all day about quality of your produce, what my personal likes and dislikes are, portion control, pricing, customer service etc etc, but I'm not your customer. What surveys in the areas your looking into have you done which gives you a more precise and accurate understanding of your potential customer?

~ Just some food for thought ~

Yes, that is my best joke for today .... :confused::p:D

14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Check out DeCosti's in Greenwood Plaza (yes in North Sydney). Food court location - business crowd. Plate of decent fish on rice & salad <$10, salmon/tuna/squid etc all griiled/hot plate. No splatter.

It has them queuing 10 deep.

Jacque and jafeica like this.
  15. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker - Australia Wide Business Member

Crispy chips! Soggy chips are the worst. And good portion sizes. If we were on a diet we wouldn't be eating fish and chips ;)

legallyblonde likes this.
  16. Gingerbeer

Gingerbeer Active Member

Jess Peletier likes this.
  17. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Good questions as OP seems to be doing preliminary DD.

18. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

Always throw in an extra potato cake, with any order containing potato cakes

19. Fullysickbro

Fullysickbro Well-Known Member

Make sure your calamari rings are real, and not that imitation kids packet crap, always use fresh oil and change when needed.
    Fresh salad varieties.
    Best of luck.

Jacque and Tyler Durden like this.
  20. jaybean

Who needs a business plan. Just make the chips crispy.

Bayview and Jess Peletier like this.