Open space contribution in Boroondara

Discussion in 'Development' started by jyeung80, 4th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jyeung80

jyeung80 Well-Known Member

I'm aware that subdivisions involving 3 or more lots require an open space contribution. Does anyone know how this is calculated in Boroondara?

The Boroondara Open Space Strategy says "The contribution is expressed as a percentage of the land area of the development site or the equivalent value of undeveloped land as a monetary contribution, or a combination of both."

To me, this implies it's a % (typically 5%) of the land value alone. However, I spoke to a planner at Council who said it was 5% of the post development capital improved value. That's a huge difference.

Has anyone been through the process with Boroondara and able to share their experience?

Last edited: 4th Apr, 2018
  2. Hamish Blair

Hamish Blair Well-Known Member

Whitehorse was 2% of the land value.

3. jyeung80

2% isn't that bad relatively speaking. The whole thing feels like a rort anyway. So nobody been through it with Boroondara?

4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I think Council is best placed to advise you about this.

5. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

It's unlikely that the Council planner would know definitively - talk to the department that will be responsible for assessment and collection (rates dept?)

jyeung80 likes this.
  6. jyeung80

Thanks. Rates dept was correct. I asked to speak to someone there directly and they confirmed it's up to 5% of the undeveloped land value but could be less depending on the size of the development and other factors.

Funnily enough I spoke to a 2nd planner there who also thought it was 5% of the post development value. Goes to show you can't trust anyone these days ;)

7. jyeung80

OK, eventually found someone who actually knew what they were talking about (or so it appears). For anyone who's interested, it's calculated as followed:
    1. 3 lots - 2%
    2. 4 lots - 3%
    3. 5 lots - 4%
    4. 6 or more lots - 5%
    Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be publicly documented.