QLD Onsite managers

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by hash_investor, 30th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Hi guys, I was going through some townhouse advertisements in the greater Brisbane area and noticed that onsite manager is quite the norm there. A lot of complexes have an onsite manager and thus the higher body corp. And I got to know that they do the rentals as well. Is this something recommended to let the onsite manager manage your property or you should bring your own PM.

If you bring you own then whats the point of onsite manager?

2. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Is it a large complex?
    Is it targeted for short term stay?

These will generally have an onsite manager but having 10 townhouses isn't as you would be paying $50,000 (assuming wage) just to have someone sit there or paying $5,000 each townhouse (assuming all equal).

3. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Yes. Its a large complex not a short term stay one. Lease terms there are over a year and people have been living for years.

4. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Fine with a good one, but having a bad one means you are stuck - you cannot just go to a new PM. We (my family) would have changed PM's with a calamvale townhouse, but can't - not allowed. Check the rules. If you can bring your own, I imagine an on-site manager could make your life difficult if you had an alternate PM.

5. fols

fols Well-Known Member

I have a few of these (onsite managers) and they are all awesome.

Pumpkin likes this.
  6. Matt E

Matt E Active Member

If people have been living in the complex for years, it sounds like the onsite caretaker/PM is doing a good job. I've managed complexes where owners used outside PMs - particularly PMs with larger chain real estate agencies have access to a much larger pool of potential tenants - and they never had a problem finding a tenant or looking after the property. The onsite caretaker works for the body corporate and therefore doesn't normally have significant power to make life difficult for owners that use outside agent.

7. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

It seems that not many people know about this. Yes in Qld OSM generally possess some form of License. In our case, we have Full License ie both selling and renting.

Good point on BC Levy but not entirely true. The Levy also covers a whole heap of other things....

Very good point on questioning the logic in bringing Outside PM when you have OSM. We have our IP for over 10 years now and we always use OSM because we believe it is in our best interest to engage them. This decision is achieved by comparing the pros and the cons. I shall endeavour to write about this topic at some stage. You might say I am biased because that is what we do now, but only for a little over a year.

8. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Can you please elaborate how this can happen? AFAIK, the engagement of PM can easily be changed with appropriate notice.

9. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Hmmmm. Would this be a good retirement job?
    Seems like a relatively easy stress free job

I assume you can't go away for even short getaways

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia