Online trade fees go to zero

Discussion in 'Sharemarket Investing Platforms, Tools & Services' started by ChrisP73, 2nd Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Race to the bottom?

3. Dean Collins

Dean Collins Well-Known Member

[Mod edit: merged from another thread]
    Not sure if it made news in the fintech space in Australia but Schwab announced $0 trades from Oct 7 (Currently they charge $4.95)

Was really interesting to see that Schwab only make 7% of income on trades and 60% in interest on margin loans.....that concerns me that too many retail investors are too highly leveraged.

So basically....they can go to $0 per trade and only lose 7% of revenue......BUT if they are "lending you money" to go long or shares to go short......they still make more profit.
    How Much Is Charles Schwab Being Affected By Zero-Commission Brokerages?

(BTW as a matter of interest i trade with Ameritrade because of their Think Or Swim software platform which was the best choice when i tested 4 of them in 2018).

Last edited by a moderator: 3rd Oct, 2019
  4. Dean Collins

lol.......got an email this morning.......

TD Ameritrade are also going $0 commission for USA equities as well.

TD Ameritrade

Hmmmm i think i'd actually prefer to pay a fee so i know "where" im being screwed.

5. XBenX

XBenX Well-Known Member

Here come the frontrunners. Interesting to read the details.

Dean Collins likes this.
  6. Dean Collins

Yep thats what worries me as well. At the end of the day you would never know as you think the price action being displayed is real.....but who is to say one broker or another "adjusts" the price slightly......

gman65 likes this.
  7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I suspect that Chess sponsorship fees may stop share trades from being free - unless the broker holds the shares on your behalf, which some brokers do, and it's something I wouldn't like.

I don't understand however why some brokers still operate on a commission model. Surely the paperwork involved is the same for a large or a small transaction - just that a commission means that the buyer is less likely to worry about the fee for a larger trade.

Brumbie likes this.
  8. cberg86

cberg86 Active Member

Interest on margin loans or margin of interest on cash balance?
    Most brokers in Oz have a fair bit of the latter.

9. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Yep, they'll try and make it back on the spread..e.g. how most CFD providers operate.

Get enough volume and you can set your bots to work against your "clients"...

10. Dean Collins

As TDAmeritrade pays me practically nothing on cash balance....i suspect a bit of both considering they lend it out at 8% etc.

Like i said......its going to be interesting to see how it affects retail traders. I generally trade in fairly large volumes about once or twice a week so will be interesting to see how much more/less trading i do and how it affects my style - i can imagine trading more in smaller lots.

11. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

The ASX is a monopoly. no rebates are paid to the broker. It is a different system in the USA known as" payment for order flow" where brokers get a rebate from market makers such as Citadel.. There are 13 SX's competing for order flows who get revenue from trade fees, gap( what they keep) selling data and research, holding collateral etc. They pay market making/ execution firms to trade on them, rebates are paid to the broker who " sells " the order flow.

Dean Collins likes this.