online brokers impact on regular brokers

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Brett Messer, 27th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Brett Messer

Brett Messer New Member

Have any mortgage brokers experienced a noticeable impact to their client base due to the increasing number of online brokers?

Basically wondering if they have any effect on the total number of deals, or are they just segmenting the market into those clients focused on service vs those focused on price?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

no.

actually that might be why I am getting more and more client enquiries!

3. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

What are online brokers?
    Aren't all brokers online?

4. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I haven't noticed a difference, but my target clients are completely different to an online lenders target client.

chylld likes this.
  5. Simon Moore

Simon Moore Residential & Commercial Mortgage Broker Business Member

Level 2 287 Collins St Melbourne VIC 3000
    I think the brokers on this forum won't see any difference as we have a totally different clientele to those who are going to comparison sites.

6. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

I'm practically an online broker - the vast majority of my work is done online.

Unless you're talking about the cheap, no frill on line lenders? Then I agree with above. It's not a market I generally dabble in - but when I do, I've got a few competitive lenders on my panel that compete in that space :)

Cheers

Jamie

7. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Most people don't trust putting their credit card details into a HTTPS site. Not sure many will ever trust an online broker with the biggest financial commitment of their life.

8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I don't know, nothing would surprise me regarding the stupidity of the masses who consider the lowest price only.

brettc likes this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Scepticism aside, bottom feeders will look at the headline rate and think 'that's 0.??% better than my current rate' & not taking into account other fees, charges, convenience, serviceability, effect on structuring, crossing etc.

Just because a computer gives you an answer doesn't mean that it has provided the optimum solution.

10. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I dunno. Only about one in fifty clients ask to send files that have some level of protection. Most send us everything via email with no security and don't give it a second thought. Almost nobody asks how we store information (and brokers have everything an identity thief could ever want).

We are currently moving to a platform where clients will be able to upload documents directly via a secure portal.

11. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

That's missing the point. These people know and trust you, you have built rapport, you have relationships backed no doubt in most cases by referrals.

That's a lot different than plugging your details into a website without speaking to anyone and 3 days later loan documents arrive and you sign and send back (I actually have no idea how an online broker works in this regards :p)

I am confident if i asked 100 of my friend and family, not a single one would be comfortable with getting a loan online.

12. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

This. People hunting online for a "mortgage broker" are most probably shopping with a low rate as a primary goal, with very little or zero consideration to structure/products/planning etc. No love lost if these people don't hit up the more skilled brokers on this forum.

I put "mortgage broker" in quotes because the good ones do so much more than land you a good rate; maybe a new role "mortgage planner" is needed :)

Jess Peletier likes this.
  13. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

A good mortgage broker is a trusted adviser, than someone who knows how to sort a product list from lowest interest rate to highest.

Not to say that there aren't a lot of brokers out there who think the latter is providing the best service for their clients.

14. brettc

brettc Well-Known Member

A very interesting thread and very similar to the similar situation with insurance. The multitude of possibilities for simple transactional insurance, not just in personal insurance but growing in the more complicated area of commercial insurance. This leads to people buying on price alone and often learning the hard way that they really didn't understand what they were getting or what their real risks are.

Property Twins and Corey Batt like this.
  15. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

For the standard PAYG employee it's not going to impact them, but for those with more complex income/investment properties, it could signal the start of more credit hits on a file and people running to a real broker for advice.
    I would think that the branches would feel more impact than brokers. How much easier would it be for someone to plug in their details on their lunchbreak rather than having to make an appointment with a branch?