Online auctions

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Cimbom, 30th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

A new platform is allow people to participate in auctions online. You can read more here: Anywhere Auctions: bidding website, app taking off in Melbourne - realestate.com.au

The first thing that popped into my mind was the opportunity for agents to use this to create fake "bidders" to drive up prices as it'd be a lot easier to do online than in person but I don't know the full details of how it works. Thoughts?

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

It's probably more audtiable than getting a bid from a tree.....

The Y-man

Dan Wood likes this.
  3. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

how on earth are they going to chase non paying bidders?

unless, they have to pay 10% deposit upfront

edit; hey if I can pay my deposit on credit card, im going to be points millionaire!

Dan Wood and The Y-man like this.
  4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Looks like its a way to kick the vendor with more costs (video etc feed and hosting with the app that isnt free !! ) but may have some benefits. Online Property Auction Site - Real Estate Auctions Online
    One glaring issue not addressed anywhere on the site is - How much ? They just mention we will contact you....

The buyer must pre-register which I may imagine wont be as easy peazy as many think. And the issue of paying a deposit etc.

5. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Is this different at all to Gavl which has been doing this for a while now?
    Looks to be the same concept despite their claims.

6. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

I’ll dredge this thread up because I just had an online auction experience and who knows, these could become very popular.

Registration was easy, signed a form, sent it back, took a photo of my ID and texted it to the REA. Two other bidders registered, a bunch of people “observed”

Then came the bidding night. I put in a bid, and two minutes later, the circus began. The auction was “paused”. The agent called me, saying it was “technical difficulties”. 10 mins later, I got the call - the other bidders had pulled out. I was asked to put forward my best offer, it didn’t meet reserve, but they called the seller back, then called me, told me the reserve had changed and was now $20k higher than previously stated, I said this is dodgy and no thanks, they called the seller then called me back, seller wouldn’t budge. Property was passed in.

Needs to be a lot of interest for these to work.