One stop shop lawyer in Melbourne recommendation?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Ouchmyknees, 7th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

My partner and I are going to buy our first ppor together, after reading TerryW's tips extensively we decided to do one title (me) and the home loan will be joint ( I can't service the 800k loan by myself.)
    We need to find a lawyer to draft a financial agreement for us before we make the purchase.
    We also need the lawyer to do conveyancing and wills for us.
    Down the track we will need spousal loan agreement so I can lend him money to finance IP purchase under his name. ( thanks to TerryW again for this golden tip.)
    Further down the track we want to set up a trust for future kids but that's for a much later discussion, our current situation doesn't justify this cost.
    So my question is, can anyone please recommend a good lawyer in melbourne that can handle our needs now and future? I've done some research and identified the following firms roselawyers, pearsons and berry family law, does anyone have good experience with them?
    Another thing is my partner wants to use Slater and Gordon to represent him for the Financial agreement, I'm a bit concerned as S&G is in financial trouble with a possible class action coming, does it matter at all?
    Many thanks for reading this!

2. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

3. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Slater's exited conveyancing Australia wide.

They have some great lawyers but many of them bought large amounts of shares ($8 down to 40c), are dealing with wholesale cost cutting, increasing budgets and more.

blackrocky likes this.
  4. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I've just financed three deals recently where there was multiple parties and financial agreements involved. One was a joint venture, the second involved elements of family law and the third was a transfer between spouces that included a loan agreement.

Grant Mackenzie and his team from Phillips and Wilkins Solicitors in Thornbury handled all of them. They cover a lot of legal topics including property law, family law and dispute resolution. 03 9416 9685

5. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Just remember that a well drafted BFA will not come cheap generally... So don't think a grand or two will do it just in case you're wondering if you're paying too much.

6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

You will probably need multiple lawyers for what you are after. For example. I dont do binding financial agreements as i dont practice in family lawyer and i dont do conveyancing either.

In a large firm you might find different lawyers can do different aspects but you might be better offer going to separate firms. Dont forget you also need tax advice especially on the spousal loan side.

And for a bfa expect to pay $5000 upwards.

7. KateAshmor

KateAshmor Victorian Conveyancing Lawyer Business Member

Agree with Terry: it's unusual for the one firm to do everything. We do conveyancing, wills and powers of attorney, but no family law.

Jane Libbis and Kuppy Nambiar can help with the financial agreement.

8. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

Many thanks everyone for your comments and recommendations. I think going to different firms are the way to go. I will reach out to your suggestions and get the ball rolling.

Terry do you mean you do Spousal loan agreement besides setting up structure? I don't need them right now but hopefully going forward we get to work with you on these since we have already benefited substantially from your generous tips.

9. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes spousal loans. Maybe no paperwork needed now but j7st plan ahead by segregating money as you cannot borrow you own money and this includes money in joint accounts.