One-off rate hike? Or more to come?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by acorn123, 27th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. acorn123

acorn123 Well-Known Member

Just wonder whether this is not just one-off shoot from banks/ARPA:

1. a 0.29 rate hike will not cool down the hot market or deter investors in general
    - No effect on “rich”, as they are mostly bullet-proof
    - No effect on “poor”, as they are unable to get a loan anyway
    - Some effect on “middle class”, especially, who borrowed to ceiling, such as teachers, taxi drivers etc.

2. Will ARPA enforce 80% LVR for all investment loans soon, if this shoot is not effective? or something tougher?
    3. Psychologically, some investors might think twice for next purchase, given these uncertainties.
    4. House price in some regions might be more or less affected? Such as Brisbane? Will not expect a fast growth in a short time frame? Or party time is almost over?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Could be more to come if the effect is minimal.

3. Arashi87

Arashi87 Well-Known Member

And usually how long we can see the in effect Terry?:cool:

4. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Teachers and taxi dri v ers don't borrow to the max. :rolleyes:

5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

unchartered territory

6. Vacant

Vacant Well-Known Member

What's this going to do to rent prices? In my experience, investors don't like to be out of pocket so they generally pass the cost on. Seeing as this is across the board can we expect to see rents start to rise?

7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

0.29 will not do nothing,if people are starting to worry about rates then maybe property investing is not for you,people use the banks but they start to get upset when the bank and the stake holders use them
    and a lot of rich people these days are rich on paper values -opm..no-one is bullet-proof..

8. Guest

Guest Guest

One bank analyst has said there is more to come: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-21/home-loan-rule-changes-could-push-up-rates/6637598
    & if they are focusing rate increases on part of their loan book (primarily investors), then I guess it could end up being more.

I expect it will be offset by further official rate cuts though.

9. DanW

DanW Well-Known Member

If they are passed on to investors...

We are taking short term fixed on a couple of properties before the changes to mitigate some cost risk.

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
  10. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

29 points is only 22 to someone on a 30% marginal tax rate.....

Arashi87 likes this.
  11. acorn123

12. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Being keen to buy, and being able to get the finance to do so could be two very different things.

If the measures work, I think it opens the door for more rate cuts - although I doubt investors would see much of it.
    They (regulators) are battling with a scenario of a relatively poor economy overall, with a booming property market. Dropping rates is going to fuel property, but do little else.
    If they can get this balance right they hold property values steady, and give the economy the kick in the arse it needs.

Blacky

Terry_w likes this.
  13. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

IMO point 2 (LVR restrictions) and new serviceability requirements will have a dramatically larger impact than point 1 (rate hikes)

14. acorn123

Agreed.They may require property investors to put a 30% deposit for any new purchase at some stage if house price is not controlled to some extent (say, +5%/yr?).
    After this rate hike and the 80% LVR constraint, it is still the best time to build up a large profolio for some investors, given the rate is historically low and there are still cheap loans around.
    By the way, if 15% GST kicks in (sooner or later), both house price and rate may go up (?).

Last edited: 31st Jul, 2015
  15. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

One little positive - when I come off fixed later this year, the new rate for the IPs will still be lower than it was fixed. We are so poor that when I tried lowering the interest rate last year at Suncorp, they made us close the LOC and open a standard P&I as owner occupiers.

Edited coz this is a fixed loan too.

Last edited: 1st Aug, 2015
  16. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I am expecting more increases and restrictions to come. As some of the other mentioned with relevant links, these increases are not really making much of a dent at the moment. Just needs some more push.

17. Johann_

Johann_ Well-Known Member

Hey All,

I honestly think rates will go up even more and I would be surprised if PPOR loans increase as well. The reason why I say this, is that banks tend to calculate loans at a 7% + level when working out serviceability for loans. So even with a .50 increase most people should be ok.

I think its fair to say that rates will head up!!!

18. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

A 0.29 interest rate increase wont make any difference, it doesn't really matter, the banks calculate your affordability at 7% anyway. The rate makes no difference if they wont lend money.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia