VIC One for the Melb Locals - 10 km from CBD

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by MTR, 18th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Silverson

Silverson Well-Known Member

Fitzroy/fitzroy north, Carlton/Carlton north, Northcote.
    Inner north is the clear winner for me, don't be expecting large parcel of land however!

MTR likes this.
  2. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

Behind Clarendon and towards kings way, in between Coventry and Bank you will find a bit of high density public housing.

The block down toward kings way, in between Napier and Park has a higher density block of apartments- these are privately owned and more ugly than dodgy.

There is also high density public housing on park street in between Cecil and Ferrars- this one doesn’t seem as bad as the one behind Clarendon but might be one to keep an eye out for.

The best parts of South Melbourne are generally south of park st towards Albert park lake, and west of Ferrars towards port Melbourne.

Trailblazer, MTR and malleybull like this.
  3. malleybull

malleybull Well-Known Member

Fantastic, great info!

MTR and Toby like this.
  4. Lone_Wolf

Lone_Wolf Well-Known Member

I would choose the bay side or inner east any day of the week over inner north

craigc and berten like this.
  5. dave80

dave80 Well-Known Member

sure, without a doubt.... bayside and inner east are much pricer though.

preston is what, 10km north? there wa a reno'd californian bungalow that went last week for $1.295M - decent ~600m2 block, presents very well... no chance getting this in brighton/camberwell or an equally blue chip 10km suburb

6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Personally I like Fitzroy and Collingwood a lot. Smith Street at night is colourful and a bit grungy. YMMV

Toby, malleybull and Silverson like this.
  7. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Hmm I don't really love Balaclava. I don't hate it but I don't like the vibe and I feel a bit out of place there

8. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Yes but there is a concentration around richmond. I think this situation will improve over time. I personally don't have an issue with them as I feel sorry for them. I wish the government would legalise heroin and dispense it at the injecting centre so they don't have to buy it from dodgy dealers and OD in the street. Its very sad to see them in the state you see them in when you are in the area. It's quite confronting. Abbotsford isn't as bad as Richmond though. Richmond does have some of the best food though. I would happily live there

MTR likes this.
  9. Paul Mete

Paul Mete Well-Known Member

All suburbs mentioned are very good, we are quite blessed in Melbourne.
    What and how much are just as important a question as where.
    If a Town house is an option for you I recommend looking at developing as a means of securing property a cheaper prices this allows you to "suburb leap" into better options.
    For me South Melbourne is fantastic but Inner North is also great around Fitzroy, North Fitzroy, Carlton and Clifton Hill.

MTR likes this.
  10. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

MTR and malleybull like this.
  11. malleybull

What are your thoughts on Brunswick and East Brunswick? For the money you can get a lot of house in Brunswick for around 1 to 1.5 mil but perhaps not as good a "vibe" as the other areas you have mentioned.

12. berten

berten Well-Known Member

If it’s cafes and vibes you’re after, Fitzroy is probably the ticket.

13. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Richmond is great as long as you never plan to drive a car again. I lived their for 2 years and use to shudder at the thought of having to take the car out of the garage.

For me Vibe and the ability to drive a car must coexist. Their are some ripper suburbs on that list that only have the Vibe.
    Obviously closer to the CBD you get more of this. So yes Fitzroy, Collingwood, Richmond will have the most vibe but also the worst roads and traffic.

So in order to help you with a choice this is a key question that needs to be answered. If your happy with just public transport and more vibe then definitely go inner suburbs.
    If your like me then you will need to go more toward that 10km ring. I don’t know the East as well as North and West but as I have said countless times the price comparison just doesn’t make sense! The East is definitely leafier with nicer houses but is that worth literally double it’s counterpart in the North West....no chance.

AxeLy, astonma, Ronald86 and 3 others like this.
  14. malleybull

How do you feel about Brunswick / East Brunswick?

15. Kriv

Kriv Well-Known Member

If you're after a dynamic vibe, lots of eating out options, a young crowd then Brunswick is a go.

If you like a more peaceful vibe but a progressive more well off crowd then East Brunswick is perfect.

I think East Brunswick is similar to where North Fitzroy was a few years back. Two of the best Northside suburbs, consider Northcote also.

MTR, albanga and malleybull like this.
  16. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

All ridic expensive. I invest in these areas have t bought since 2014

17. malleybull

I am in no hurry. Waiting to see what happens to the inner Melbourne Market over the coming 12 to 18 months. Could be a good opportunity to grab a relative "bargain" if prices continue to fall.

18. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Brunswick does a very cool hipster Vibe and is also very multicultural with plenty of eating options for all cuisines.
    The traffic is much better than the likes of Richmond but it still has its problems. If you ever get caught behind a tram on Sydney Rd you will know what I mean.

malleybull likes this.
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Just got back from Melb, staying in Richmond, traffic is a nightmare
    Perhaps should look for a nice vibe but not so built up

Been told Thornbury may tick some boxes here

MikeyBallarat, malleybull and Kriv like this.
  20. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

I don’t think Yarraville is too bad
    Nor is West Footscray
    Seddon as well
    And Essendon/Strathmore

Certainly not like some areas in the north/east where the traffic is suffocating!

Ronald86 and malleybull like this.