one for the ladies

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Xenia, 28th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Further to Mark's debate on men's issues, here is one person's definition of feminism.
    I admire this bright young lady :

2. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Sadly... this thread already has all the hallmarks of reaching PC lows. :(

sanj likes this.
  3. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Everyone will have their own definition, it does push the hot buttons of some people and others will have a more balanced view. All good, it is where it is for each person, we can't help that.

The aim was to help some of the ladies maybe re-define a view point that could work better for them.

MTR likes this.
  4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: 28th Nov, 2015
    bob shovel and Xenia like this.
  5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

It is one for the ladies and men agreed. Because as she says gender equality is not possible without both sides working.
    There are inequalities on both sides and only by working together can they be addressed.
    I for one, think she's one smart cookie.

Teddy, RM1827, Xenia and 1 other person like this.
  6. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I agree, having an issue about one of the genders would never allow you to grow as a person until you have had that issue handled.

Allow men to be men - I would never get in the way of my husband's need to go out and kill something and eat it, primal instinct, my husband and son are into hunting and fishing and would come home with dead things - rabbits etc... I can't stand it but it's their thing.

Allow women to be women - don't ever tell her how to dress or what to say or who to talk to or what make up or shoes to wear or who to be friends with. Male insecurities don't belong in women's choices concerning themselves.

My husband told me ONCE that my shoes looked ridiculous for business and that I should wear some "better ones" - his perception.
    I looked at him and asked "are you wearing them", he said no but.... I cut him off and said "then it should not be a problem for you" and walked out the door wearing those shoes.

What you allow will continue and boundaries need to be set in relationships to define your own personal choices.

Emotionally stable people ALLOW others to just BE.

Emotionally damaged people want to control the behaviour of others with issues that do not concern them - they should not be wearing that, they should not have that view point, they should think my way and not their way etc... this is a form of abuse..... also good luck trying to get people to change - life of frustration set up right there because someone is always going to be wrong.

Having a definition of how women should behave or how men should behave is insane, labeling women or men because they are not behaving the way you want them to is more insanity.

Live your life - you are the only person you can control

Lizzie likes this.
  7. turk

turk Well-Known Member

You're correct.

Having a definition of how women should behave or how men should behave is insane

MTR and Xenia like this.
  8. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Emma Watson is amazing! I adore her!

MTR, BigKahuna and Xenia like this.
  9. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be so quick to judge. I haven't looked at the video but there are no shortage of comments on here from the odd couple of guys (not many) that are offensive to me, and I'm not even vaguely interested in feminism. Very rarely are they challenged. Maybe they're meant as jokes but it's hard to distinguish the difference on a forum. Anyway, if this brings balance then good for Xenia.

Esel, MTR, BigKahuna and 1 other person like this.
  10. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Well-Known Member

Emma Watson is a terrific young woman doing some wonderful things. This also relates to MH's thread in that she speaks of the gender constraints on men.

MTR and Xenia like this.
  11. Westminster

I'm not sure you do agree with me. I think that feminism is about gender equality not the behaviour of people. Feminism doesn't mean women have to be like or the same as men. To me it could be that men need to be equal to women - many men would actually like this and even be better for them - imagine if men could be equal to women and be encouraged to report rape, talk about feelings, have paternity leave, have access to more support groups, more domestic violence support, be teachers/Childcare workers/nurses with less stigma and so on.

There are feminists (male or female) who behave badly and there are non feminists who don't.

Gender equality is about both sexes being the best they can be, not women being equal to men.

skater, hobo, DaveM and 2 others like this.
  12. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I read that about 8 times and still lost, is someone not equal to someone else?
    Imagine if men need to be equal to women..... do they not need that?

I don't need to agree or disagree westminster and I have no need to be right, it is what it is I have no perceptions on any of these - was just offering a definition of what feminism is from one view point. Some will agree and some will not - all good to me.

Gender equality is about both sexes being the best they can be - OK
    Not about women being equal to men???? But we are! I know I am.

over my head sorry.

13. Westminster

What I was saying that being male is not the holy grail. We shouldn't be holding that up as the what we want equality to be. We should be holding up a mixture and the best of both worlds as the holy grail of equality.

D.T. likes this.
  14. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

lol WESTMINSTER - STOP IT! LOL
    I just looked up holy grail and it's coming up with some christian stuff - blood of jesus...

That's IT. I'm going back to property management.

15. geoffw

No. IT is computer stuff. Information Technology is what it stands for.

D.T. likes this.
  16. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Is the IT causing issues for women's or men's equality or inequality or whatever the hell we are talking about?

17. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

nuff said

move on humans

ta
    rolf

D.T. and Xenia like this.
  18. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

We now have women in some of the highest positions in Companies, Services, Politics etc all over the world.

We now have women earning the same rates of pay for most jobs - if you compare the actual job description as well as the qualification - not the total dollars, because many folks have varying work volumes due to family and so forth.

For eg; A female CEO of say; CBA, or a male CEO of CBA, or a male nurse versus a female nurse - of equal quals in the same exact role.

We don't need equality any more; we have that.

What we need is men's attitudes (and some religions) to change their thinking on their attitudes and practices towards women's rights and equality..

19. geoffw

I agree that in the workplace there is more equality than there used to be.

However this thread has been about gender stereotypes. Emma Watson's speech was not about the workplace, but about what behaviours are expected of both male and female. The speech posted by the OP, or the transcript I posted, is worth a look or read.

20. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I thought I said that in this sentence?: