Technology & Social Media One drive, QR code savy helpers please

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by bob shovel, 24th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Hi IT Brains trust,

I'm after some IT help with file/folder sharing. I've looked on the mircosoft website but i keep going in circles and they just want me to buy their stuff, and i know there's plenty of IT brain power here

Basically what I'm hoping to do is:
    Have a QR code that when scanned takes people to a folder that we are have on one drive. Obviously only access to a specific folder and the files within it, nothing else for security etc

Where i'm working we run all files/folders/docs off the one drive cloud. I work off a PC and use it like a normal computer to access files through explorer etc. (please be gentle with me and my IT skillz:))
    We have a folder for each piece of equipment with pdf manuals, service records, maintenace etc etc that we want to make available for people to view via a barcode

Is this something that can be done by sharing a folder?
    Or are we better look at sharepoint? I have a very basic understanding. But this may be a later stage we go to for accessing and completing docs onsite etc

2. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

3. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

I have a cloud service where I can have everything stored in the cloud and then have the option to share files or folders with people (which can also have different permissions applied) which is done via a URL.

Then you could always do like Dan has done above and have that URL converted to a QR code which should get you what you want.

4. bob shovel

Yep a qr scanner so anyone that needs to can scan and then get to the folder that corresponds with the equipment

The sharing and linking im not to sure about

5. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Like below?

[​IMG]
    ^ Scan :D

6. bob shovel

yeah i love that dog! :D

upload_2017-3-24_12-5-2.png

Kesse likes this.
  7. bob shovel

Is that to your personal cloud folder?

8. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Yep. Can have it all segregated (have files for 3 different businesses hosted through there) and chose what to share and what to keep private. Can also put an expiry date on the files and chose what they can do with them ie read only, upload, download etc. Very handy.

bob shovel likes this.
  9. bob shovel

this is what i need to work out with one drive.

make public folders and read only, then have a link via a QR code

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I must be a dinosaur. We use gooberdocss on the Goober drive. I provide a link for the public documents for download - companies with IT departments who lock down access to the external links sick as customers wishing to interact can't.

11. bob shovel

i got it!

i needed the correct login deets and it made everything so much clearer :oops:

access one drive folder required, then make a "read only" link. copy paste to qr generator then bob's your aunty :D

next thing though is the QR code, what is a reliable generator. are the free ones ok?? does Bill Gates do cashies?
    7 Best Free Online QR Code Generator 2016 - DesignMaz

12. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Ours is pretty locked down, fortunately for me, they don't lock down the settings.

For anyone in a similar situation:

in your browser: Settings, Connections (Advanced and Proxy settings in Firefox) then LAN settings, Delete the address in the top box (which is where you find webdefence and defencespider etc) then turn off Use auto config script then turn off auto detect settings then click OK and then click OK.

Job done, access to most things again :).

I just wrote a small VB.NET app to basically do exactly this, I have it set on a 30 min scheduled task on my machine as our settings reinstate themselves every hour or so.

If the box is locked down to not allow installs and not allow settings changes though, they are out of luck :).

13. jim1964

jim1964 1941

Ohhhhhhhhh reminds me of the Mitsubishi line at Tonsley Park, everything was Q code.Toyota actually started using Q codes in the early1990,s.

QR Codes and Cars