One does not simply "recover" from a virus

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Lizzie, 5th Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I hope not, too much alcohol can actually cause dementia...... note to myself, cut down alcohol

2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

But alcohol consumption is up due to corona, too much alcohol can cause dementia. Dont worry about it, something will get us eventually;)

Last edited: 8th Jul, 2020
  3. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Can too much of anything cause us harm? Just asking for a friend. LOL

gman65 and MTR like this.
  4. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

I think of us as more like parasites. Bleeding our host dry then dying out when we've used up all the hosts resources.

Lizzie and wylie like this.
  5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

geoffw, Lizzie and kierank like this.
  6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Sobering reading:

"The illness can cause high levels of inflammation in the body, with the immune system going into overdrive to get rid of it — and the impact that has on the body's vital organs can be devastating.

"We're just now getting to large numbers of people recovering and getting back to life and we're starting to see these long haul survivors, as they self-describe, who are still suffering for months with symptoms ongoing," Canadian neurologist Dr Rick Swartz said."

And then the article goes on to discuss the effects on each organ

Last edited by a moderator: 8th Jul, 2020
    wylie and kierank like this.
  7. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

10. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed it's truly a minimal number of Covid patients that experience these issues post-virus. Regardless, if this information becomes more widely reported then it might result in less indifference among those in the less affected demographics; it's psychologically easy to play your luck knowing chances of death are very low but the prospect of neurological injury and other ongoing health issues, no matter how remote, might give pause for concern.

From that JP article it would have been helpful to know the total number of cases the National Hospital in Queen Square had collected data on to put the number of 43 into perspective (even if emerging symptoms are ongoing and are still not fully understood.)

Lizzie likes this.
  11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

This is concerning as, I imagine, there would be the potential for dramatic damage even to those that "recovered"

"Some COVID-19 patients are known to develop blood clotting issues, but the degree and the extent to which that occurs was described as "dramatic" by Rapkiewicz.

In the early stages of the pandemic, bedside clinicians noticed a lot of blood clotting "in lines and various large vessels ... this was dramatic, because though we might have expected it in the lungs, we found it in almost every organ that we looked at."

Blood clots 'deadly' in coronavirus, expert says

12. mickyyyy

mickyyyy Well-Known Member

Has anyone read about viral load? Seems really healthy and fit ppl are falling into this group who are having complications...

13. Property Baron

Property Baron Well-Known Member

Why don't we just ask the people who have had it.
    Lots of things cause blood clotting and lots of things cause health problems.
    Sugar is really bad for you and may cause ongoing health issues.
    Salt is really bad for you and may cause ongoing health issues.
    Alcohol is really bad for you and may cause ongoing health issues.
    Breathing air can be really bad for you and may cause ongoing health issues.
    Diabetes really bad for you and may cause ongoing health issues.
    Being over weight really bad for you and may cause ongoing health issues.

The facts are as they stand 99% of cases are mild. We know people who have recovered and are ok, Tom Hanks, Peter Dutton, Boris Johnson all still going fine. They probably have good healthy lifestyles.

This list could go on all night.

Shazz@ and MTR like this.
  14. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

In the US, there are 6,000,000 cases with 180,000 deaths - 3%.
    In Australia, 25,000 cases with 650 deaths - about 2.5%

So even without allowing for any other effects, that's much more that the 1% you quote.

Hospitalisation rates are around 20%.

From What are the long-term health risks following COVID-19?.

Around 30% of patients who were in intensive care for COVID-19 may have long-term pulmonary damage.

Up to half of patients treated for the virus in intensive care units (ICUs) may be left with ‘persistent physical, cognitive and psychological impairments’, including chronic fatigue.

So while a majority recover without permanent damage, a significant minority have long term effects.

kierank likes this.
  15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Try reading the rest of this thread, follow some of the links and educate yourself ... 20% get a serious version of covid ... 10% are hospitalised ... 5% end up on some form of breathing support ... and 1% die

Of those who get covid, even a mild form, ongoing health issue can be significant ... and we don't even remotely know what long term effects are (as per the first post)

What are the long-term symptoms of COVID-19? | HMRI

kierank likes this.
  16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

As for your examples ... all, asides from breathing and type 1 diabetes, are caused by personal choice

wylie likes this.
  17. Property Baron

I keep hearing from different sources that 99% of cases are mild.
    I notice you say around 30% of patients "May" have long term pulmonary damage. The virus has been around for not even a year.
    It's always a "May" this or "May" that so to me that means still unproven,

MTR likes this.
  18. Property Baron

I only listed a few examples but I'm sure most would get my point. This world is not perfect,there are many many things that harm us and in current terms of numbers Covid19 is still a mild virus that can be controlled by following a few basic rules.
    We have some terrible diseases out there that kill a lot more people than covid does and a lot of these diseases are not caught by not washing your hands and touching your face.

Shazz@ likes this.
  19. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

99% is not possible, since from Australian statistics, deaths are 2.5% of infections.

On top of that, there has been lasting damage for at least a number of people - how long it lasts cannot be known yet, but apart from damage to lungs, there have been reports of damage to kidneys, liver the heart and even the brain. Sometimes damage isn't evident immediately.

While a majority recover completely, a significant number don't. Whatever that number is, it's significant.

It's not just lungs: Covid-19 may damage the heart, brain, and kidneys
    Coronavirus can cause lasting lung damage – but the effects may ease over time

It isn't a trivial disease.

Lizzie likes this.
  20. Property Baron

I would say the 99% is a world wide statistic.
    I think we should hear more about these people with lasting damage. Most people we hear of have full recoverys.
    But like most things in life they cause us some kind of harm.