One bathroom or two

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Lizzie, 28th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Those are both nice Lizzie, especially the one with the high glass at the back. Can you swap your kitchen and dining areas? That would allow your living area to be dining, living and straight onto the longer part of the deck?

The dining area seems tight, but I guess you may only have a small table as you won't need a big table.

Can the deck stay at the same level as the house, or must it be stepped down?

2. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Bring back the thunder box with a view. Simpler times.

Lizzie likes this.
  3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I love the one with the high glass. That was my friends house and it felt delicious to be in. Inspired me to go the cathedral in the new extension ... she also bumped out the bathroom to the boundary, but had room for windows ... note it doesn't have access to the backyard from the "L" shaped living area but it makes the living feel more cosy and is no hassle for going outside via the slider around the corner (I'd go bi-folds).

The house in Mitchell St gave me the idea for the squared off window in the front master bedroom - we'd already planned to put french doors in bed 2 leading onto an enlarged front veranda. The house in Mitchell has the same 4 room layout as ours, so it starting the thinking process of what was possible

Deck could stay the same level - but I really detest high-set decks that loom over the backyard and only accessible by a long run of stairs. One finds they never use the yard then ... I'd rather a series of platforms, each large enough for outdoor sofas and/or dining, winding it's way down.

The top deck is 3.7 x 7m - perfect for undercover bbq and dining ... the second deck down is 4m x 5m - ideal for lounging under the tree

I should have put dimensions on the plan - the dining room is 4m x 4m and I'd trade my large round table for a less chunky rectangle one. Don't be fooled by the scale of the oversized island bench - you know I have a fondness for them ;)

I can always bumped the back of the house depth by a further half to one meter, but was trying to avoid the tree canopy over the roof

Last edited: 3rd Dec, 2018
    wylie and Westminster like this.