One bathroom or two

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Lizzie, 28th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. neK

neK Well-Known Member

@Lizzie
    It would appear that the original house ends at the living room. The kitchen and bathroom look like an extension with the skillion roof, followed by a further extension to the laundry that was done later.

2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

100 year old house - assume they are hardwood

3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I saw that and thought "what the heck" - I'm an open book, and I've posted this property before via the real estate listing, so doesn't worry me

xx

Joynz likes this.
  4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

That's right - the kitchen and bathroom are in/on, what would have been the old back verandah - and the laundry is an additional step-down skillion off the verandah

Teen did ask where the bathroom would have been - not impressed when I suggested in front of the fire for the bath, and in the backyard for the toilet.

SatayKing, Marg4000 and Islay like this.
  5. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Lizzie,
    Should stay private I would remove the address, never know who lives where and who can visit you, but at least I learned where this suburb is located, nice area, does it ever flood? It's just me....always thinking about floods or fire areas.
    I agree, I would always have an en-suite, lived with one all my life so even if I downsized I prefer my own bathroom space. Plus have UNI kids to and don't wish to share in the future regardless...
    Plus may have better re-sale value not that you wish to sell...just in case.
    Our neighbour encompassed the tree he had to retain as part of the back and front decks and it looks good. So perhaps extending the house further to one side a possibility and encompassing that tree?

6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I agree with @neK in that I would put the master bedroom into the dining room spot as it's the same size as the current front bedroom and it allows you to then convert the current kitchen into a semi ensuite bathroom if you just want one large bathroom but still have direct access from the master bedroom. If you are going to do 2 bathrooms then the kitchen room would make a great ensuite and WIR.

So the 2 front rooms are office and bedroom. The living area gets to stay as is and charming.

The current bathroom - could be come bath #2 or a combo of bath and laundry if you divide it up - it's massive!!

Then just do an extension that doesn't impact on the tree for kitchen, living and dining.

When it comes time to resale the second bathroom will be attractive to buyers but it comes at a financial cost so it's up to you.

Brady likes this.
  7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Yep - I really do agree with the second bathroom but, every now and then, cheapness hits me.

I'm drawing up new plans with the WIR/ensuite where the family room is, with laundry backing onto the new extended hallway - family room moved to where the current dining room is - and bathroom where I had put the laundry (current bathroom)

8. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

In this case cheapness will come back to bite you. Most people want 2 bathrooms. Another bathroom should add more to the value if the property than it costs you to build.

So take a brave pill and put in 2 bathrooms!
    Marg

Angel likes this.
  9. neK

neK Well-Known Member

@Lizzie It will cost you less (and also be less headache) if you do it all at once (nothing worse than having dust flying everywhere due to demolition work while you're living there.

For a resale (As well as a valuation) perspective, 2 toilets is the norm. Less than 2 toilets make a place harder to sell (unless you reduce the price substantially).

10. wilso8948

wilso8948 Well-Known Member

Good choice of suburb ;)

Enjoy the lifestyle. You'll never leave.

Lizzie likes this.
  11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

hahahaha - no brave pills required. I'm usually the one arguing with hubby that we "have" to put in two bathrooms - or the stone benchtop - or the ducted air - as I understand what is required for resale in certain suburbs.

xx

Marg4000 likes this.
  12. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

I live alone, as you know, but could not survive without my two bathrooms. The house is built on 5 levels, with two steps down to each of the other levels, its built on a slope. So having the toilets at each end is fabulous !!!!!

Marg4000 and Lizzie like this.
  13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Second try (or should I say 20th dabble ;))

I've bumped both bathrooms out to the boundary - 10m wide block (50m deep) - which means they won't have external wall windows, but are on southern side so would put glorious, oversized skylights over the shower in ensuite and over the bath in bathroom.

The side boundary windows in bedrooms 1&2 would be highset louvre windows ... for cross ventilation and light. Means I've managed to maintain the four front rooms (with the bathrooms bumped). Kitchen/dining/living at the back are stepped down and would have cathedral ceilings

These are just thoughts and would get an architect to go over properly ... I really want to keep my tree and incorporate it into the rear decks.

Trying to convince hubby to put on a new garage with studio apartment above ... for junior, renting out or Airbnb ... can have own parking, access and courtyard down the side of the garage

Screenshot (690).png

craigc and EN710 like this.
  14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Looks good Lizzie. Are the two green walls between the living area and the deck louvres or fixed glass? I'd want to walk through that corner. Maybe big sliders sliding away from the corner?

I also wonder if you can run the deck and leave the tree growing through the middle. If so, you could look at making the dining area a bit bigger inside because you'd have a larger outside deck.

The separate deck seems to be down one step? Can it be same level as the decking across the width of the house?

Last edited: 2nd Dec, 2018
    craigc likes this.
  15. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

@Lizzie how far from bed 1 to the boundary? Is it a metre? if so you could put a narrow window in both bathrooms on the end walls to get natural light and ventilation

16. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

That tallies with how I was thinking, but better.

Any way of salvaging (relocating?) the gorgeous fireplace?

And I like the studio above garage idea.
    Marg

17. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Love it

18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I've thought the windows in the living room would be a combo of sliders and louvres, so the slider can be opened right up but still have room for the sofas underneath. Wouldn't have deck access from the living room, unless I did a seat under the slider and one could step out that way

Yes - steps down so various levels of deck - the backyard slopes away from the house

Last edited: 3rd Dec, 2018
  19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

It would be lucky to be 50cm wide down that side. No room for windows, which were my first thought.

I would prefer a window - but, I think, an oversized skylight (thinking 1m x 2m type size) would be sensational

I could always flip the bathroom/WIR/laundry setup to the other side which would have slot window room (around 80cm width) but that would block off all access from the front to the back.

Westminster likes this.
  20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Islay likes this.