once granny flat is add can you later subdivide into Duplex?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Jessi, 15th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jessi

Jessi Active Member

Hi all,
    I'm looking at purchase a property with 700sq land with a old house on it in Penrith Council area. If I add a granny flat now, a few years later can I kock eveyrhing down and rebild a duplex on it as strata titled subdivision?

I heard something like once it is duloccpency Then you cannot subdivide? Does that mean without knocking everything down you can't?

Investor1234 likes this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Does 700m2 permit subdivision? What are the constraints that you need to comply with? Read the LEP & DCP to confirm whether you can subdivide, then go about meeting those requirements.

3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Check with Council. Each Council have their own rules.

Anthony416 likes this.
  4. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Why would you build a granny flat if your thinking of knocking it down later

Building the granny flat wouldn't cause any issues if you were to knock it down

Whether your able to build a duplex would have many questions

Though general - most residential zoned areas can have an attached duplex on 700m2 (there are other reasons its may not be allowed on particular blocks)

Investor1234 likes this.
  5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I believe the OP was thinking of building a 2 bed GF, and then attempting to get it subdivided onto it's own block. No need to knock it down.

6. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

did mention if they could 'kock; everything down - guessing knock

7. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Ah, one too many spelling mistake. I missed that one.

8. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Say you spend 80k on a granny flat. It generates 10k a year income. Thats taxable. If you blow it up after a few years, it has zero value. You would be better off not building the granny flat at all.

Investor1234 likes this.
  9. Investor1234

Investor1234 Well-Known Member

I actually had the same question, so thanks for posting this thread. While I can’t answer your question, just had 2 things to ask:

1) Why are you building a GF now only to knock down everything later and build a duplex?
    2) Are you aware of the zoning requirements for Penrith Council?
    Below link has those requirements:
    https://www.penrithcity.nsw.gov.au/images/documents/building-development/development/Residential Development fact sheet.pdf

You need 650m2 minimum R2 land and 550m2 R3 land, but this is for attached dual occupancy only. For attached, both values are 100m2 higher.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.